Janis Ian was somewhat like Grace

For topics that do not fit in any other category.
Forum rules
You may introduce new topics here that do not fit in other forums, as long as they are Grace-related. As always in our forum, please refrain from discussing politics, religion, anything private regarding Grace's personal life or family, or really anything else likely to be controversial.
Iamagracefan

Janis Ian was somewhat like Grace

Post by Iamagracefan » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:29 am

Check out NPR’s story this morning on
Janis Ian. It was on Morning Edition.
I do not know how to send from NPR.

It was a bit different than Grace , because Janis had one hit in 1975 and won a Grammy, but basically her music was too sophisticated for the general public. She was a child prodigy also.

The story won’t be there tomorrow.
It’s under their series:
“One hit wonders, second best songs”

NothingLost

Re: Janis Ian was somewhat like Grace

Post by NothingLost » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:03 am

Interesting. I haven't thought about her for years, but one thing I remember is waiting to listen to her until no one was home. There were certain albums I couldn't play without hearing protests to play something else. Janis Ian's "Between the Lines," Joni Mitchell's "Hissing of Summer Lawns," and Jeff Beck's "Blow By Blow" were among them. Although I never used the term then, they were kind of alternative for their day — Janis Ian more than the other examples, but still outside the top-hits world. Very much in the Grace lane, now that you've mentioned it. Thanks.
Remember, always be yourself...unless you suck.
~ Joss Whedon

sorensk@me.com

Post by sorensk@me.com » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:31 pm

Janis Ian was an important part of the soundtrack to my teenage years. She was catapulted to fame with the song "Society's Child" when she was 16 (it's on Youtube - and still gives me the chills), and was for a while part of the big celebrity scene. She was even offered to write music for a movie based on a book she had never heard of, but she declined - that movie was The Graduate. Whether her star just faded or she turned her back on celebrity and fame (a bit of both I gather form what she tells in stage), she kept on touring and recording, and I heard her live the last time some 15 years ago. She made some absolutely beautiful music, some of it dealing with the troubles of being and adolescent and an outsider (something every teen can related to) - the most famous one probably being "At Seventeen". I have previously compared her to Grace on this forum. They are both basically nice and humble people who write beautiful songs that deals with real issues in a real way, while still being poetic and emotional. For those of you who don't know Janis Ian or have forgotten her, go find her music online. I suspect most Grace fans would like her music very much.

BradHaney

Post by BradHaney » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:21 am

I've already commented that I consider Janis Ian (1967)/For All the Seasons of Your Mind (1967)/The Secret Life of J. Eddy Fink (1968) the best 3 consecutive singer-songwriter LPs of the time (until Joni & Jackson came along as well). I called her the "female Bob Dylan" at the time, who had a pretty good run himself. I lost some interest, but still liked her, from "At Seventeen" forwards. I think Janis and Kate (and Stevie in the male category) are the only folk/pop female artists I can think of who displayed comparable early songwriting talent under 16 yrs. old like Grace.