Entertainment Weekly Giving "Stargirl" and Grace More Love!

Discussion of recent developments and breaking news
VanderVault

Entertainment Weekly Giving "Stargirl" and Grace More Love!

Post by VanderVault » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:00 pm

Short, but sweet article pushing the "Stargirl" trailer.

https://ew.com/tv/2020/01/15/stargirl-t ... rm=6598663

EricH

Re: Entertainment Weekly Giving "Stargirl" and Grace More Love!

Post by EricH » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:22 pm

VanderVault wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:00 pm
Short, but sweet article pushing the "Stargirl" trailer.

https://ew.com/tv/2020/01/15/stargirl-t ... rm=6598663
They did it again, with references to the Stargirl superhero TV program at the top and bottom of the article, instead of references to the movie Stargirl, two very different projects. I left a comment, maybe they will fix it again.
Within the article, they point out that this is different from the other Stargirl with a link to an article for the other Stargirl. I am not certain that that is helpful, pulling focus from this Stargirl.

RogerPyle

Post by RogerPyle » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:43 pm

FWIW, YouTube views after 3 hours: 23K+
Disney+ twitter: 130K+ views
Facebook: 158K+ views
Last edited by RogerPyle on Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JefferyWacker

Post by JefferyWacker » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:53 pm

It seems Vanity Fair isn't being as supportive as EW is. Their article is a bit snarky towards the "Manic Pixie Dream Girl" trope.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/20 ... rl-trailer

JohnMay2

Post by JohnMay2 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:03 pm

JefferyWacker wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:53 pm
It seems Vanity Fair isn't being as supportive as EW is. Their article is a bit snarky towards the "Manic Pixie Dream Girl" trope.

"But hey, this is a movie for kids so we shouldn’t dunk on it too hard"

How brave of them to make that concession and ignore it entirely.

VanderVault

Post by VanderVault » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:04 pm

JefferyWacker wrote:

Yikes, Yohana got up on the wrong side of her narcissistic soap box this morning.

She must be a blast at parties...have fun nurturing your house full of cats, sweetheart! :lol:

DenisPeloquin

Post by DenisPeloquin » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:42 pm

VanderVault wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:04 pm
JefferyWacker wrote:

Yikes, Yohana got up on the wrong side of her narcissistic soap box this morning.

She must be a blast at parties...have fun nurturing your house full of cats, sweetheart! :lol:
The Manic Pixie Dream Girl trope being applied to Stargirl isn't new. But, it is evidently pretty thick in the trailer. Yohana may see it as a reason to dis the movie, as snobbish critics with a culturally and cynical post-modern bent tend to do, but for Disney enthusiasts it'd fit right in with the Princess motif.

Harlechmaker

Post by Harlechmaker » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:52 pm

The character of Stargirl is anything but manic. In fact, she's the most centered and self-realized of any character in the entire story, with perhaps the exception of Archie.

Also, that citing that trope is a good way to trounce on anyone actually showing a bit of originality or expressing themselves, especially young women.

You wanna slug the book (and movie) for an overused trope, the whole "queen-bee-head-cheerleader-out-to-cause-trouble" thing is OVER. It's so corny it's used in BOTH Stargirl projects, this one AND DC.

VanderVault

Post by VanderVault » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:59 pm

Harlechmaker wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:52 pm
You wanna slug the book (and movie) for an overused trope, the whole "queen-bee-head-cheerleader-out-to-cause-trouble" thing is OVER. It's so corny it's used in BOTH Stargirl projects, this one AND DC.
But they are out to get us...I saw it in a movie once...

Okay, I know where the door is...I'll show myself out too. :shock:

ToddBaysinger

Post by ToddBaysinger » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:55 pm

Vanity Fair's article really sucks. I am already tired of the whole Manic pixie crap.

EricH

Post by EricH » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:16 pm

ToddBaysinger wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:55 pm

Vanity Fair's article really sucks. I am already tired of the whole Manic pixie crap.
Practically everything in life can be described as one "trope" or another. That is hardly a reason to dis the movie. The much more pertinent questions are "Is the movie entertaining or not?", "Is the movie done well or not?", Is the acting good or not?", "Is the movie true to the award winning book or not?" Or even "Does it evoke a trope in a healthy or unhealthy manner?", "Is it encouraging or discouraging admirable qualities?"

TonyAzti

Post by TonyAzti » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:05 am

EricH wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:16 pm
ToddBaysinger wrote:

Practically everything in life can be described as one "trope" or another. That is hardly a reason to dis the movie. The much more pertinent questions are "Is the movie entertaining or not?", "Is the movie done well or not?", Is the acting good or not?", "Is the movie true to the award winning book or not?" Or even "Does it evoke a trope in a healthy or unhealthy manner?", "Is it encouraging or discouraging admirable qualities?"
At least Grace doesn't seem too upset about it...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rockpopscissors

Post by rockpopscissors » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:12 am

EricH wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:16 pm
ToddBaysinger wrote:

Perhaps someone should write an article defining the trope of lazy magazine freelancers trying to fit everything into some trope invented by someone else a few years ago because it might get them published without ever bothering to see if the trope really fits. just sayin' ...

RogerPyle

Post by RogerPyle » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:59 pm

rockpopscissors wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:12 am

Perhaps someone should write an article defining the trope of lazy magazine freelancers trying to fit everything into some trope invented by someone else a few years ago because it might get them published without ever bothering to see if the trope really fits. just sayin' ...
I'd never heard this term before. But Wikipedia has a good description: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manic_Pixie_Dream_Girl

To your point, this describes it perfectly:
"In a December 2012 video, AllMovie critic Cammila Collar embraced the term as an effective description of one-dimensional female characters who only seek the happiness of the male protagonist, and who do not deal with any complex issues of their own. The pejorative use of the term, then, is mainly directed at writers who do not give these female characters more to do than bolster the spirits of their male partners."

VanderVault

Post by VanderVault » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:29 pm

RogerPyle wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:59 pm
rockpopscissors wrote:

I'd never heard this term before. But Wikipedia has a good description: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manic_Pixie_Dream_Girl

"In a December 2012 video, AllMovie critic Cammila Collar embraced the term as an effective description of one-dimensional female characters who only seek the happiness of the male protagonist, and who do not deal with any complex issues of their own. The pejorative use of the term, then, is mainly directed at writers who do not give these female characters more to do than bolster the spirits of their male partners."
There are aspects of the character "Stargirl" that fit the Manic-Pixie-Dream-Girl trope, but to imply that she does not have to deal with any complex issues of her own is...ridiculous. The character of "Stargirl" has more depth and character development than anyone else in the novel, and in the end chooses to be on her own, leaving the male partner to rot in his own self-chosen misery of obscurity.

ToddBaysinger

Post by ToddBaysinger » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:32 pm

I read that as sarcasm. I don't think Grace is happy about the comparison.

VanderVault

Post by VanderVault » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:39 pm

ToddBaysinger wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:32 pm
Agreed, for the reasons I stated above..."Stargirl", before the trope was coined, turned that type of character on its ear, beginning as one and then flipping it on its ear by the end of the story.

EricH

Post by EricH » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:05 pm

RogerPyle wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:59 pm
rockpopscissors wrote:

And then there is this.
Similar sentiments were elucidated by Monika Bartyzel for The Week in April 2013, who wrote "this once-useful piece of critical shorthand has devolved into laziness and sexism". Bartyzel argues that "[The term] 'Manic Pixie Dream Girl' was useful when it commented on the superficiality of female characterizations in male-dominated journeys, but it has since devolved into a pejorative way to deride unique women in fiction and reality."

DenisForsha

Post by DenisForsha » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:59 pm

JefferyWacker wrote:
As I see it Mary Poppins is also a MPDG Disney production!:^)

Harlechmaker

Post by Harlechmaker » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:13 pm

DenisForsha wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:59 pm

As I see it Mary Poppins is also a MPDG Disney production!:^)
Love it! Give that man a gold star.

How about the women from "Hidden Figures"? (As Disney now owns Fox)

TonyAzti

Post by TonyAzti » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:27 pm

ToddBaysinger wrote:
Perhaps. Hard to tell from that statement.

ToddBaysinger

Post by ToddBaysinger » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:35 pm

TonyAzti wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:27 pm
ToddBaysinger wrote:
Perhaps. Hard to tell from that statement.
Not the way I read it. That is Grace at her finest. Saying STOP the comparing.

RogerPyle

Post by RogerPyle » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:59 pm

Any actress should be thrilled to show up on a list that includes Audrey Hepburn, Goldie Hawn, Barbra Streisand; in fact ANY of the actresses on the Wiki list no matter what movie they were in.

Several times there's been a second-guessing of Grace's posts as sarcasm without any background to support it. That is a very cynical and unwarranted view. I do not think Grace has those motives in mind when she posts her remarks. She'll be forthcoming if it's necessary to do so, or not say anything at all.

VanderVault

Post by VanderVault » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:27 am

Anyway...Entertainment Weekly's love seems short lived...

https://ew.com/tv/2020/01/16/stargirl-d ... ntent=link

RogerPyle

Post by RogerPyle » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:15 am

VanderVault wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:27 am

What do you object to with that neutral review?

DenisPeloquin

Post by DenisPeloquin » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:35 am

RogerPyle wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:15 am
VanderVault wrote:

Not speaking for VanderVault but "saccharine-looking film" is probably a pre-judgement that fits with all the tropes that are attached to Disney and typical YA fiction. Honestly, Stargirl looks to be genuinely sweet, naturally sweet.... nothing artificial at all.

VanderVault

Post by VanderVault » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:08 am

RogerPyle wrote:
VanderVault wrote:

It's mostly the "saccharine" comment, plus the fact that they used the official poster for DC's Stargirl and chose a still from our Stargirl's trailer to contrast it rather than using Disney's poster...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TonyAzti

Post by TonyAzti » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:25 am

VanderVault wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:08 am
RogerPyle wrote:
VanderVault wrote:

It's mostly the "saccharine" comment, plus the fact that they used the official poster for DC's Stargirl and chose a still from our Stargirl's trailer to contrast it rather than using Disney's poster...
If you've only seen the trailer, then yeah, it might be described as saccharine-looking. (Overly or sickishly sweet, overly sentimental.) Reading the book, however, I thought it was far from that. Sad really. [EDIT: Removed spoiler, LOL]

Yeah, he should have used the poster. The author was afraid to because it wouldn't have supported his comment. He was solely focused on contrasting the two shows and manipulated things to do it. Lazy af.

EricH

Post by EricH » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:14 am

I agree, small things, yes. But, it totally felt like our "Stargirl" was being dissed. And it didn't help, that for the third time in just a couple of days of Stargirl articles, there was info on the other "Stargirl" at the top and bottom of the article.