STARGIRL TRAILER IS OUT!!!!!

Post by VanderVault » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:42 pm

STARGIRL TRAILER IS OUT!!!!!

https://youtu.be/fE-e7v4bvxw

It's beautiful.

Henning

Re: STARGIRL TRAILER IS OUT!!!!!

Post by Henning » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:50 pm

Love it. Let's get this back to Grace's usual rate of 99 .8% thumbs up.

Harlechmaker

Post by Harlechmaker » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:11 pm

Henning wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:50 pm
Love it. Let's get this back to Grace's usual rate of 99 .8% thumbs up.
Sadly, not gonna happen. In fact, it's probably going to be the lowest like/dislike ratio of anything Grace-related since the VidCon posting of Moonlight. Purely the result of comic-book fans having a extended-childhood tantrum in this case, mind you, but still.

VanderVault

Post by VanderVault » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:50 pm

My thoughts on the trailer…Fantastic, and almost exactly what I expected.

Almost? Well, they seem to have taken some liberties with the adaptation, but from what I can see those changes were absolutely necessary.

This very much seems to be Graham’s (“Leo’s”) movie, but it gives Grace a brighter spotlight whenever she’s on screen, and as such they had to make Graham a more likeable/relatable character.

No knock on Jerry Spinelli’s masterpiece, but Leo never really generated an ounce of sympathy from me, just ire that he chose to be complicit with the town’s, and school’s, desperate desire for blandness over the most amazing person he would ever meet, and above that one that was actually in love with him. I understand why Jerry made the creative decision to make Leo so unlikeable, and virtually a cypher; Leo was a condemnation of society in general.

By introducing Leo at an earlier age, when he was the outsider, someone different, and to have suffered because of it, instantly makes him a more sympathetic character, and we can then more easily forgive him his fear of standing out from the crowd.

Again, it’s a change, but likely a smart one from a filmic story-telling perspective.

Aside from that, and where he first saw Stargirl, it seems very true to the source material, at least in tone, and that’s desperately important as Jerry really nailed the atmosphere in the novel.

Grace’s acting, from the short glimpses we see here, seems entirely natural…I’d go so far as to describe it as effortless, but here’s the thing…she’s not Ringo Starr…she’s not simply acting naturally, but is projecting a character distinct from herself, but doing so in a way that feels natural…THAT’s acting.

She has real presence on film, even stripped of makeup, and with a mousy brown hairstyle, she shines. If ever Grace changes her mind and wants to explore acting in the future she has a solid case to do so with this movie.

As for the trailer itself…damn, whoever Disney hired to do this trailer, and the one for “Timmy Failure” (they feel like the same company), knows what the hell they are doing; it’s romantic and adorable, but not saccharine. It’s quirky, but you can feel the intelligence and honesty of the storytelling lying between the quick cuts, and the use of the soundtrack/score is perfect.

Grace is going to win over A LOT of new fans with the release of this movie.

EricH

Post by EricH » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:55 pm

Wow!! This is more than I had hoped for, for a trailer.

EricH

Post by EricH » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:01 pm

VanderVault wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:50 pm
From your mouth to God's ears. Or is it, from your post to God's eyes?

VanderVault

Post by VanderVault » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:04 pm

Love the poster!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TrumpIsaStump

Post by TrumpIsaStump » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:16 pm

VanderVault wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:50 pm
My thoughts on the trailer…Fantastic, and almost exactly what I expected.

Almost? Well, they seem to have taken some liberties with the adaptation, but from what I can see those changes were absolutely necessary.

This very much seems to be Graham’s (“Leo’s”) movie, but it gives Grace a brighter spotlight whenever she’s on screen, and as such they had to make Graham a more likeable/relatable character.

No knock on Jerry Spinelli’s masterpiece, but Leo never really generated an ounce of sympathy from me, just ire that he chose to be complicit with the town’s, and school’s, desperate desire for blandness over the most amazing person he would ever meet, and above that one that was actually in love with him. I understand why Jerry made the creative decision to make Leo so unlikeable, and virtually a cypher; Leo was a condemnation of society in general.

By introducing Leo at an earlier age, when he was the outsider, someone different, and to have suffered because of it, instantly makes him a more sympathetic character, and we can then more easily forgive him his fear of standing out from the crowd.

Again, it’s a change, but likely a smart one from a filmic story-telling perspective.

Aside from that, and where he first saw Stargirl, it seems very true to the source material, at least in tone, and that’s desperately important as Jerry really nailed the atmosphere in the novel.

Grace’s acting, from the short glimpses we see here, seems entirely natural…I’d go so far as to describe it as effortless, but here’s the thing…she’s not Ringo Starr…she’s not simply acting naturally, but is projecting a character distinct from herself, but doing so in a way that feels natural…THAT’s acting.

She has real presence on film, even stripped of makeup, and with a mousy brown hairstyle, she shines. If ever Grace changes her mind and wants to explore acting in the future she has a solid case to do so with this movie.

As for the trailer itself…damn, whoever Disney hired to do this trailer, and the one for “Timmy Failure” (they feel like the same company), knows what the hell they are doing; it’s romantic and adorable, but not saccharine. It’s quirky, but you can feel the intelligence and honesty of the storytelling lying between the quick cuts, and the use of the soundtrack/score is perfect.

What a wonderful birthday present for Grace, the Stargirl movie trailer, and speaking of Ringo Starr here's a song for Grace VanderWaal https://youtu.be/R_ye9B4r61w

DenisPeloquin

Post by DenisPeloquin » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:24 pm

Archie redpilling Leo: You think things have to be real or magic? Well, the best things --- are both.

rockpopscissors

Post by rockpopscissors » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:24 pm

There is also a Stargirl Instagram page...kudos to Disney for grabbing it before that "other Stargirl" did::

https://www.instagram.com/stargirl/

JohnMay2

Post by JohnMay2 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:56 pm

It was always Leo's book/movie, from his perspective, and from what I can see they have kept it that way. I really like the way she is portrayed, pretty much just like the book, as his muse. As a soundboard for his inner thoughts and conflicted feelings. It allows Grace to act naturally, not have to be anything other than herself.

VanderVault

Post by VanderVault » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:58 pm

JohnMay2 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:56 pm
It was always Leo's book/movie, from his perspective, and from what I can see they have kept it that way. I really like the way she is portrayed, pretty much just like the book, as his muse. As a soundboard for his inner thoughts and conflicted feelings. It allows Grace to act naturally, not have to be anything other than herself.
I agree about Leo being the lead...did I state otherwise? Anyway, I still hold that Grace's "Stargirl" is distinct from Grace.

JohnMay2

Post by JohnMay2 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:02 pm

Hey, it's a modern adaptation of the classic film "Xanadu". Grace is Olivia Newton John, Graham is Michael Beck, and Giancarlo Esposito is Gene Kelly. Amirite? Anyone, anyone?

I'll show myself out...

Harlechmaker

Post by Harlechmaker » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:05 pm

JohnMay2 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:02 pm
Hey, it's a modern adaptation of the classic film "Xanadu". Grace is Olivia Newton John, Graham is Michael Beck, and Giancarlo Esposito is Gene Kelly. Amirite? Anyone, anyone?

I'll show myself out...
:D

All we need is a Don Bluth animated drop-in segment and we're all set!

Ok, I'll hold the door for both of us.

rockpopscissors

Post by rockpopscissors » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:14 pm

I like the idea of adding the Leo backstory. It makes the point that deep down Leo is like Stargirl but he suppressed it to get by. He feels emboldened by her nonconformism and there is a battle going on between Stargirl and "the way we do things around here" for Leo's soul. I can get why the project had such an effect on Grace as she struggled with fitting in as well

VanderVault

Post by VanderVault » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:20 pm

VanderVault wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:58 pm
JohnMay2 wrote:
I agree about Leo being the lead...did I state otherwise? Anyway, I still hold that Grace's "Stargirl" is distinct from Grace.
It's interesting how Leo is the lead, but not the star, in either the book, or the movie...I mean, it's not called "Borlock: The Movie", and Graham isn't on the poster either. :lol:

I think Graham is going to get a lot of positive mileage out of this movie too, it looks like he did a great job with a character that isn't the easiest to deal with as an actor. :thumbsup:

JohnMay2

Post by JohnMay2 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:28 pm

VanderVault wrote:
JohnMay2 wrote:
I think I was agreeing with you. I like that they made Stargirl be a way for Leo to know that being different was OK. Like you said, it made him much more sympathetic. Spinelli's whole schtick was that Leo is remembering Stargirl in a melancholic, sad way because he knew she was one of the best things that ever happened to him in his life and he wasn't prepared to deal with her difference at that age. It has the feel of the ending of the Hunger Games novels in that respect; an ending, if not a happy one. I have the feeling that, being a Disney film, the ending will be much sweeter. It makes sense.

VanderVault

Post by VanderVault » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:34 pm

JohnMay2 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:28 pm
VanderVault wrote:
JohnMay2 wrote:
I think I was agreeing with you. I like that they made Stargirl be a way for Leo to know that being different was OK. Like you said, it made him much more sympathetic. Spinelli's whole schtick was that Leo is remembering Stargirl in a melancholic, sad way because he knew she was one of the best things that ever happened to him in his life and he wasn't prepared to deal with her difference at that age. It has the feel of the ending of the Hunger Games novels in that respect; an ending, if not a happy one. I have the feeling that, being a Disney film, the ending will be much sweeter. It makes sense.
I only got a couple of hours of sleep last night, so we're probably talking around each other again. :lol: Sorry for being difficult. ;)

As for a sweeter ending...I don't know...did you see that shot of "Stargirl" looking back sadly, wearing her prom outfit, apparently walking away from the prom very much alone? I think they're going to stick the landing.

JohnMay2

Post by JohnMay2 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:43 pm

It's sometimes hard to tell from trailers. So you could be right.

VanderVault

Post by VanderVault » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:47 pm

JohnMay2 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:43 pm
It's sometimes hard to tell from trailers. So you could be right.
A well executed trailer can be VERY misleading; you're definitely right. Here's hoping the movie turns out as well as it appears it may. :thumbsup:

EricH

Post by EricH » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:55 pm

VanderVault wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:04 pm
Love the poster!
I need to get one of those to hang up in my den.

EricH

Post by EricH » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:08 pm

rockpopscissors wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:24 pm
There is also a Stargirl Instagram page...kudos to Disney for grabbing it before that "other Stargirl" did::

https://www.instagram.com/stargirl/
Well done Disney!!

EricH

Post by EricH » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:11 pm

VanderVault wrote:
JohnMay2 wrote:
Grace was closer in personality to Leo than she was to Stargirl, before AGT

VanderVault

Post by VanderVault » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:42 pm

EricH wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:11 pm
VanderVault wrote:
JohnMay2 wrote:
Grace was closer in personality to Leo than she was to Stargirl, before AGT
That is an excellent point! :thumbsup:

RogerPyle

Post by RogerPyle » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:02 pm

FWIW, YouTube views after 4 hours: 24K+
Disney+ twitter: 170K+ views
Facebook: 171K+ views
Last edited by RogerPyle on Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VanderVault

Post by VanderVault » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:09 pm

RogerPyle wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:02 pm
FWIW, YouTube views after 3 hours: 23K+
Disney+ twitter: 130K+ views
Facebook: 158K+ views
If you count all of the trailer reposters on YouTube it's fairing a bit better, but yeah, Twitter and FB are trouncing YT.

rockpopscissors

Post by rockpopscissors » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:13 pm

I can't say if the trailer dropping this morning was a present from Disney for Grace's 16th birthday but it seems the machine is revving up its engines. Here are some posts that have appeared within hours of the trailer release:

https://collider.com/stargirl-movie-trailer/

https://screenrant.com/stargirl-movie-t ... anderwaal/

https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/trail ... sney-movie

https://hollywoodlife.com/2020/01/15/gr ... l-trailer/

https://www.lohud.com/story/entertainme ... 476082002/

https://www.cynopsis.com/first-look-at- ... -stargirl/

Never underestimate the power of the mouse. :o

Swizzer67

Post by Swizzer67 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:43 pm

Finally a Trailer and at the same time my comeback in the fanderverse! Yay :!:
I had a rough december at work and then a horrible start into 2020 personally. Only this much: we had to rush with my 72 year old mother to the emergency on January first! What a start in 2020. :cry: long story short: She will need 2 (!) back surgerys. not the way you want a new year to start.
But sorry. This thread is not about me.

The Trailer is amazing! :o

I like the cinematography and of course the overall feel of the movie. It looks very very promising!
And no surprise to many of us grace seems to be a natural acting talent.
Cant wait to see more actual scenes with dialogue with her.
March cant come soon enough!!!!!

TomKauffman

Post by TomKauffman » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:26 pm

I am SO looking forward to this.

And in the "miracles can happen" - a local telco with more optimism than sanity ran fiber in my area and I got hooked up last month. This is a rural part of Elkhart county Indiana where the average lot size is 3.3+ acres and a significant number of the households are either Amish or Old Order Mennonite (no electricity, no phones - no internet). I was afraid I'd have to go searching for a boot-leg copy.

BTW - Grace's IG post: https://www.instagram.com/p/B7V8UYxDB7o/

There needs to be an autographed copy of that poster available!

Harlechmaker

Post by Harlechmaker » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:11 am

VanderVault wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:09 pm
RogerPyle wrote:
If you count all of the trailer reposters on YouTube it's fairing a bit better, but yeah, Twitter and FB are trouncing YT.
Even on Youtube, the official trailer posted by Disney is getting trounced. As of right now, (1/15, 8:00 PM EST):

Movie Coverage - 143k views
Walt Disney Studios - 55k views

Hey, as long as people see it.

JefferyWacker

Post by JefferyWacker » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:53 am

Harlechmaker wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:11 am
VanderVault wrote:
RogerPyle wrote:
Even on Youtube, the official trailer posted by Disney is getting trounced. As of right now, (1/15, 8:00 PM EST):

Already 657k+ views on Facebook! The comments section there is a lot better too. Full of nostalgia and I'm struggling to find any mention of the "other' Stargirl.

https://www.facebook.com/Disney/videos/ ... 7879540896

TonyAzti

Post by TonyAzti » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:01 am

JefferyWacker wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:53 am
Harlechmaker wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:11 am
VanderVault wrote:

Already 657k+ views on Facebook! The comments section there is a lot better too. Full of nostalgia and I'm struggling to find any mention of the "other' Stargirl.

https://www.facebook.com/Disney/videos/ ... 7879540896
That's because YouTube's comment section is generally a cesspit of trolls, incels, and neckbeardists. I think from now on I'm going to stay away from comment sections of channels I'm not subscribed to. I mean, why is there even a thumbs down button for comments? It has no effect that I can see. Ugh.

BradHaney

Post by BradHaney » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:47 am

Crossed 100k:
Stargirl | Official Trailer | Disney+
•Jan 16, 2020 (2:44 am PST)
Walt Disney Studios

I was hoping this would also cross over when the trailer came out. Maybe by the weekend:
Grace VanderWaal - The A Team - 1/23/2017 - Paste Studios, New York, NY
Almost, I'll keep you posted...

ETA: Yes, I'm pretty sure that YT thumbs up/down and comments mean only what you want them to mean, nothing more.

VanderVault

Post by VanderVault » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:35 pm

BradHaney wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:47 am
Crossed 100k:
Walt Disney Studios

I was hoping this would also cross over when the trailer came out. Maybe by the weekend:
Grace VanderWaal - The A Team - 1/23/2017 - Paste Studios, New York, NY
Almost, I'll keep you posted...

ETA: Yes, I'm pretty sure that YT thumbs up/down and comments mean only what you want them to mean, nothing more.
If you count the mirror/reposting trailer channels the YT viewcount (as of this moment) is rapidly approaching 500K.

VanderVault

Post by VanderVault » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:48 pm

Several reaction videos to the trailers have been popping up, here's the most thoughtful one.

Background, this is a woman who runs a YouTube channel about books, and she began her love of books with "Stargirl" 20 years ago when she was 10...In other words she's HYPER-sensitive to any form of change from her personal vision of how the story should be portrayed.

Having said that, here's her reaction...

NOTE: She's super-WOKE, so if that sort of thing irritates you...gird yourself.

https://youtu.be/o-WubTx0doY

RogerPyle

Post by RogerPyle » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:46 pm

BradHaney wrote:
Crossed 100k:
Walt Disney Studios
Am I looking at the wrong thing? I see 1.1MM views on Disney+ as of this morning:
Screenshot 2020-01-16 at 8.42.03 AM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Harlechmaker

Post by Harlechmaker » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:50 pm

RogerPyle wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:46 pm
BradHaney wrote:
Crossed 100k:
Walt Disney Studios
Am I looking at the wrong thing? I see 1.1MM views on Disney+ as of this morning:
Screenshot 2020-01-16 at 8.42.03 AM.png
No, that's a real thing. Cancel the eye doctor appointment.

Harlechmaker

Post by Harlechmaker » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:22 pm

Also here's some metrics to consider:

D+OM_______________________Premiere_______Trailer advance (in days)______TV Commercial airings
Noelle_______________________11/12/19_______81_________________________338
Lady and the Tramp___________11/12/19_______81_________________________578+
Togo________________________12/20/19_______16_________________________290+
Timmy Failure: MWM__________2/7/2020_______31_________________________N/A
Stargirl______________________3/13/20________57________________________ N/A

First off, this is the longest advance period for a Disney+ Original Movie since the two movies released at launch. Both of those trailers were timed to coincide with D23 in August 2019. While it may be nice that the trailer for Stargirl came out on Grace's birthday, and there might be a bit of marketing savvy that way in the decision-making process, there are lots of things that go into that kind of call that go way beyond birthdays. Bottom line is that more advance time is better, as it gives expectation a chance to build.

As far as the commercials, note that the "+" sign above reflects that they may still be airing additional times, as the most recent airing has occurred within the past week, per Ispot.tv. Also, the "N/A" reflects that the TV commercial campaigns have not yet started for that movie yet. The disparity between the volume of commercial airings for the first two movies is likely because one is a seasonal holiday film with a peak viewing window, and the other is the "live-action" remake of a beloved classic. But we should reasonably expect at least three hundred of them to air for Stargirl between now and when they cut off the marketing budget for it.

DenisPeloquin

Post by DenisPeloquin » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:50 am

Here is a trailer reaction video... https://youtu.be/b_xvGt0z1BE

Don't know if the fellow is quite the demo the movie is targetted towards but his reaction is much more hopeful for the success of Stargirl than the more cynical and jaded reactions from the trades.

TomKauffman

Post by TomKauffman » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:26 am

Another reactor, at the other end of the age group: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QViFkUOjGYU

RogerPyle

Post by RogerPyle » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:56 pm

Views on Disney+ (1.7M) have outpaced Timmy Failure (1.6M), which has been out a week longer, and far outpaces most other recent trailers for Disney+ offerings.

Facebook shows 1.8M views for both.
Last edited by RogerPyle on Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VanderVault

Post by VanderVault » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:04 pm

RogerPyle wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:56 pm
Views on Disney+ (1.7M) have outpaced Timmy Failure (1.6M), which has been out a week longer, and far outpaces most other trailers for Disney+ offerings.

Facebook shows 1.8M views for both.
Excellent news!

Thanks!:thumbsup:

DenisPeloquin

Post by DenisPeloquin » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:40 pm

TomKauffman wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:26 am
Another reactor, at the other end of the age group: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QViFkUOjGYU
And here is one in between and has actually met Grace IRL and still managed an emotional response:

https://youtu.be/RRcZXn_UioE