Hindsight is always 20/20. Just how much tea is Grace spilling on MotG?

Anything to do with Grace's URSB (Ur So Beautiful) Tour August - November 2019
HotelPapa100

Hindsight is always 20/20. Just how much tea is Grace spilling on MotG?

Post by HotelPapa100 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:02 am

When Mommys on the Go streamed this video, I was traveling and didn't have time to watch a more than 1h video. So I took time to do this in full only now, and, boy, is this an eye opener. (Which it wouldn't have been then... People were even commenting on how this G&J reunion didn't hold much for audiences to enjoy...)

Things that make way more sense in hindsight:

Grace lets us know about covers she'll be doing about a week from the video going on air:

Billy Joel's 'Vienna' (premiered at the YouTube space release party for WMT)
Samm Henshaw's 'Broke' (premiered 8 days after the MotG stream at the Railbird Festival, opening the tour)
The Turtle's 'Elenore' (idem) (Julez is sooooo unfazed...)

This actually makes me wonder on how short a notice things like these covers are decided. Grace's and Julez' surprise and bonding at discovering that they both like this song seems genuine. (Also, it's actually JuIianna bringing up this song.) I wonder how much of this joy would have been there if Grace had known then already that she was going to perform it only five days later? (Actually, I take this back. At 22:08 Grace's mimics say: "if you only knew!")

The way she introduces 'Broke' and 'Elenore' seems more "orchestrated". I think she was deliberately dropping hints there.

Grace gives a hint on Patrick Martin, her opener for the second part of the tour. (And lets Julez in on the secret)

Viewer Warlock proposes dying hair white. Grace's reaction: "I don't think I can pull that off!"...

I wonder how many more hints and Easter eggs are hidden in these videos...

There's definitely a lot I should clip for The Playlist (TM), though a lot of it is very rough.
Last edited by HotelPapa100 on Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
YouTube HotelPapa100
Want every YT Video of the UrSB Tour in one easily navigateded spot? Look here.

BradHaney

Re: Hindsight is always 20/20. Just how much tea is Grace spilling on MotG?

Post by BradHaney » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:28 am

HotelPapa100 wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:02 am
When Mommys on the Go streamed this video
A note about Vienna: In the MOTG, Grace talks about getting a tattoo inscribed: "Dream on, but don't imagine they'll all come true". Being one of my favorite lines in one of my favorite songs, that's about as close as I'll ever come to mentally syncing up with a 15 yr. old. But what's interesting, if you listen to the YT show premiere, Grace apparently forgot the 2nd pre-chorus (pretty sure it was an oops), which included the "dream" line. I THINK she always remembered it for her tour shows. So if she had tatted it, she would have had it right there to remember. ; )
Also: that would bolster the idea that it was decided, rehearsed, and put in the show within 5 days.

KellySwanholm

Post by KellySwanholm » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:43 pm

Based on a short conversation with Melissa the night of Railbird, Grace makes very quick decisions. Melissa said they will get a call and Grace will say, "Let's do this!" and then they learn it. She didn't specifically say how many days between getting the "order" and performing, but I imagine the band learns songs quite fast! :)

anthonminsky

Post by anthonminsky » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:53 am

KellySwanholm wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:43 pm
Based on a short conversation with Melissa the night of Railbird, Grace makes very quick decisions. Melissa said they will get a call and Grace will say, "Let's do this!" and then they learn it. She didn't specifically say how many days between getting the "order" and performing, but I imagine the band learns songs quite fast! :)
I love that about Grace. It goes with 'Light The Sky' & 'Clay'. Songs she wrote and performed during the AGT shows. Maybe stressful, but that is who she is as an artist. She is spontaneous with inspiration. I hope no one squelches that. It's how she works. It's her beauty.

TomKauffman

Post by TomKauffman » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:18 am

KellySwanholm wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:43 pm
This tends to lend a bit of credence to my suspicion that Grace may be paying a retainer to the band to have them ready on short notice.

HotelPapa100

Post by HotelPapa100 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:25 pm

Aaaand the Channel is cleared out (videos are private). I really hope it wasn't my spelunking in old revelations that was instrumental in that.

Half a year ago I'd probably have scrambled to upload my copy. I don't feel like that anymore, seeing that they probably had their reasons. Song clips may still make it, though.
YouTube HotelPapa100
Want every YT Video of the UrSB Tour in one easily navigateded spot? Look here.