Hi, my name is...

Share only as much as you're comfortable with, but it'd be cool if you could at least let us know when you first heard Grace's music and which was the song, performance, video etc. that 'sealed the deal' for you.
RiiTheAlien

Re: Hi, my name is...

Post by RiiTheAlien » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:45 pm

Right? Honestly, as long as it's Grace related I'll be satisfied! As a high school student like her, I really just like to know that she's happy and healthy, and that she's not stressing too much.

VanderVault

Post by VanderVault » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:52 pm

RiiTheAlien wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:45 pm
Right? Honestly, as long as it's Grace related I'll be satisfied! As a high school student like her, I really just like to know that she's happy and healthy, and that she's not stressing too much.
Welcome Rii! :D

Grace was having a really difficult time in late 2017/early 2018, but since then has been finding her footing and establishing a healthy work/life/room-to-grow-healthily balance. :thumbsup:

FanderwaalBelgium

Post by FanderwaalBelgium » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:05 pm

Hi!

My name is Hanne and I live in Belgium (Europe). I discovered Grace in 2017, so after her AGT-win. My youtube was on autoplay and suddenly I heard a voice that immediately fascinated me. It was Grace, of course, with her cover of 'scars to your beautiful'. I looked her up to see if she had music of her own and was surprised to see she had been on AGT. I immediately watched all her performances, loved her voice and songwriting skills and have been a fanderwaal since!

I must admit that I was a little disappointed when JTB came out. In comparison to the raw performances on AGT, the produced songs on JTB made me afraid that she would go in the 'general pop' direction and lose her unique style. Masterpieces like 'Darkness Keeps Chasing Me' and 'A Better Life' however convinced me that she still had her AGT magic and after listening to the album for a month, I also started to love her more 'mainstream' songs like 'talk good'.

Side note: I'm obsessed with the 3 new songs (stray, YGB and YSB) and I have a very good feeling about other songs she will release this year. Watching interviews with her shows how excited she is about this year and how proud she is about the music she's gonna release. The shows with Florence have been amazing so far and she seems very happy which makes us fanderwaals happy :)

PratiMoksha

Post by PratiMoksha » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:13 pm

FanderwaalBelgium wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:05 pm
My name is Hanne and I live in Belgium (Europe).
Welcome to the forum! We're glad to have you with us. :D

bethfromtexas

Post by bethfromtexas » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:12 am

Hi there! I'm Beth from Texas and I am so excited to see Grace for the first time in Dallas! Looking forward to sharing some videos and seeing everyone's videos as well!

bethfromtexas

Post by bethfromtexas » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:16 am

Hi there! I'm Beth, and I am so excited to see Grace for the first time in Dallas! My husband and I new the first moment we saw Grace on AGT, that she was the winner. We love her music and her awesome personality. Looking forward to sharing some videos and seeing everyone's videos as well! :)

VanderVault

Post by VanderVault » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:24 am

Welcome Beth! :D

PratiMoksha

Post by PratiMoksha » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:52 am

bethfromtexas wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:16 am
Hi there! I'm Beth, and I am so excited to see Grace for the first time in Dallas! My husband and I new the first moment we saw Grace on AGT, that she was the winner. We love her music and her awesome personality. Looking forward to sharing some videos and seeing everyone's videos as well! :)
Welcome Beth!
(On a housekeeping note, just in case you're wondering, you may notice I moved your post to this thread, dedicated specifically for introductions). :D

PatrickHa

Post by PatrickHa » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:46 am

Hi all,

My name is Patrick.

I became aware of Grace a few months ago when I was viewing other music on YouTube and her AGT videos were on my list of recommendations. Needless to say, I clicked on the initial audition video assuming I’d hear another cute kid singing a decent version of some cover, and instead....well we all know. I then went down the rabbit hole of not only her other AGT videos, but literally just about every video she’s had posted since then.

I’m sorry to say I didn’t know about her sooner, but needless to say I’m “all in” now. I’m excited to see how her career unfolds and consider her to be one of the vital few unique talents left in the music industry. Too many seem to get swept away by the industry, but it does seem... “fingers crossed” ...that she, and her family, are grounded enough to give her space to be a kid and also blossom as an emerging artist.

I live in SC not too far from Asheville, NC, so I had to buy a ticket to her first stop on this tour. I’m going solo since none of my friends are fans. If any other forum members are going please let me know.

HotelPapa100

Post by HotelPapa100 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:47 am

PatrickHa wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:46 am
I live in SC not too far from Asheville, NC, so I had to buy a ticket to her first stop on this tour. I’m going solo since none of my friends are fans. If any other forum members are going please let me know.
Hi Patrick, and welcome to the wild ride. Discovering Grace this late and going through all that went on in one fell swoop must have beeen an exhilarting experience!

I for one am going to Asheville. If you look through the respective threads here in the forum you will find more who will attend.
YouTube HotelPapa100
Want every YT Video of the UrSB Tour in one easily navigateded spot? Look here.

VanderVault

Post by VanderVault » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:06 am

Welcome Patrick! :D

DarylHergenhein

Post by DarylHergenhein » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:52 am

HotelPapa100 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:47 am
PatrickHa wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:46 am
Hi Patrick, and welcome to the wild ride. Discovering Grace this late and going through all that went on in one fell swoop must have beeen an exhilarting experience!

I for one am going to Asheville. If you look through the respective threads here in the forum you will find more who will attend.
It speaks to an artists strength when "late" is referring to the amazing career so far of 15 year old Grace.

ericmichaelsvoice

Post by ericmichaelsvoice » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:26 am

Hi, my name is Eric M.
I saw Grace on her first appearance on AGT, like most, and was instantly taken. I couldn't wait for the live shows, to see if lightning could strike twice. It did, of course, and never stopped. Every song was original, in every sense of the word, (and really good!) and her delivery was unique and endearing. I've followed her career ever since, continually amazed by this young natural songwriter and performer. From here, I think I'll just paste part of my comment on Fredee Ziffel's YouTube post of You'll Get Bored:
"I can sing and play, and I've written some decent lyrics, but I write melodies on a kindergarten level when compared to this natural PhD. Kinda makes me feel like F. Murray Abraham's Salieri faced with the genius of Mozart: "I speak for all mediocrities in the world. I am their champion." Hopefully I'm a bit better adjusted. Grace displays musical gifts, but also radiates grace- has there ever been anyone more aptly named? I'm sure I'm not the only jaded older person, disheartened by things I see happening in the world, whose spirit is so easily lifted and buoyed by the presence of this little miracle, as Howie called her."
I've been a huge fan of music artists before, but never signed up to a website, discussion board, etc. until now. There's just something very different about Grace, and if you are here reading this I don't have to try to explain. You're likely here because you get it, whatever "it" is.
BTW, I have to give a heartfelt shoutout to Grace's parents for doing an amazing job encouraging and guiding, protecting, and obviously letting her fly as high as she wants while knowing she always has that safe place to land. Roots and wings, as they say. This one was just ready to fly much earlier and higher/farther than usual. Nice to see them having trustworthy professionals work with her career-wise, rather than them trying to manage and stage-parent every bit themselves. These are obviously very smart people making wise choices and decisions. It's gotta be hard to know when to step in and when to step aside in an amazing situation like this.
All my best to Grace and her family, and thanks in advance for many great years of Grace to come.

VanderVault

Post by VanderVault » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:37 am

ericmichaelsvoice wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:26 am
Hi, my name is Eric M.
I saw Grace on her first appearance on AGT, like most, and was instantly taken. I couldn't wait for the live shows, to see if lightning could strike twice. It did, of course, and never stopped. Every song was original, in every sense of the word, (and really good!) and her delivery was unique and endearing. I've followed her career ever since, continually amazed by this young natural songwriter and performer. From here, I think I'll just paste part of my comment on Fredee Ziffel's YouTube post of You'll Get Bored:
"I can sing and play, and I've written some decent lyrics, but I write melodies on a kindergarten level when compared to this natural PhD. Kinda makes me feel like F. Murray Abraham's Salieri faced with the genius of Mozart: "I speak for all mediocrities in the world. I am their champion." Hopefully I'm a bit better adjusted. Grace displays musical gifts, but also radiates grace- has there ever been anyone more aptly named? I'm sure I'm not the only jaded older person, disheartened by things I see happening in the world, whose spirit is so easily lifted and buoyed by the presence of this little miracle, as Howie called her."
I've been a huge fan of music artists before, but never signed up to a website, discussion board, etc. until now. There's just something very different about Grace, and if you are here reading this I don't have to try to explain. You're likely here because you get it, whatever "it" is.
BTW, I have to give a heartfelt shoutout to Grace's parents for doing an amazing job encouraging and guiding, protecting, and obviously letting her fly as high as she wants while knowing she always has that safe place to land. Roots and wings, as they say. This one was just ready to fly much earlier and higher/farther than usual. Nice to see them having trustworthy professionals work with her career-wise, rather than them trying to manage and stage-parent every bit themselves. These are obviously very smart people making wise choices and decisions. It's gotta be hard to know when to step in and when to step aside in an amazing situation like this.
All my best to Grace and her family, and thanks in advance for many great years of Grace to come.
Great introduction, Eric!

Welcome to the Vault!

Have you registered for our summer tour giveaway/contest yet?

https://vandervault.org/contest/

NothingLost

Post by NothingLost » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:02 am

Hello folks. I’ll start by saying I was somewhat hesitant to join, not because of Grace or her fans, but because of a past experience going down the rabbit hole of fandom. I’ll explain further, but first, I’ve been perusing this site for quite awhile, and it has become my go-to place to catch up on the latest from Grace. The site is well-designed and maintained, and the admins and contributors seem friendly and level-headed. Postings on the forum seem also to reflect a respectfully enthusiastic fanbase, which is important to me.

Being a fan is an enriching experience for me, especially being a fan of someone who is up-and-coming. It’s thrilling to watch a wonderful story unfold to become history in the making. Fandom, at its best, means belonging to a community of people who get your enthusiasm on both an intellectual and emotional level.

Now to explain my reluctance (hesitance) to join a fan forum. I was, and still am, a fan of someone I’ll call “Mary” for the sake of privacy. Mary’s break-out moment was, in a nutshell, very similar to Grace’s. Fans like me, bubbling over with excitement, found an outlet mainly on YouTube and on her newly created website/forum. But a handful of those fans, sometimes referred to as “OTT’s” (Over The Top), made life difficult for Mary, her team/family, and even other fans.

These OTT fans became warriors in a sense, to such an extent that both of Mary’s parents had to step in on multiple occasions. More importantly, their behavior had affected Mary personally (she even wrote a song about it). Here are some of the worst examples of behavior that caused her team to push back:

Fansplaining: Fans tend to find out a great deal of interesting information, but Mary’s team was put off by “authoritative” explanations, in posts, about her intentions, personal history, record label business, family matters, etc., that only the family/team would know.

Finger waving: Basically, chastising others for their opinions. An example would be telling someone they need their hearing checked if they point out that the sound mix was off at last night’s concert. On multiple occasions, Mary’s father reminded fans that she doesn’t need that kind of help.

My gal’s better than your gal: Claiming that Mary was “better” than (name your artist), even to the extent of posting these statements on other artists’ pages. This sadly prompted, from those other artists' fans, statements of resentment of Mary herself.

Hyperbole: Pretty common and harmless until it came to claiming that Mary was a “gift from God” in the literal sense, as in actually being sent on a divine mission to save the world. Mary’s mother was furious over this and told people to knock it off.

Overstepping: The most serious of all. Mary and her family had to deal with people following them, taking pictures of their house, age-inappropriate fawning, and even knocking on their door at home.

I have to be clear, these are not things I’ve observed in Grace’s fan community here, or to any large extent YouTube. I include them because, who doesn’t like a good cautionary tale, and because I’d hate to see any of this stuff affect Grace. There are always OTT’s in any fanbase. But I decided to join this forum because Grace’s fans do seem chill, friendly and intellectually honest. Grace certainly has something to do with that.
Remember, always be yourself...unless you suck.
~ Joss Whedon

Harlechmaker

Post by Harlechmaker » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:33 am

Good intro, well stated. I will agree that there are indeed occasional hints of similar behavior on the fringes of this group, moreso back when it was based solely on the comments section of a succession of YouTube videos. The excesses are discouraged, using guidelines set down by Grace's dad last year, all very positive and cordial, and Mark can speak to the details if necessary. Hopefully you'll continue to find the place supportive and enjoyable.

You picked a good day for it too.

PratiMoksha

Post by PratiMoksha » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:06 am

Hi NothingLost, and welcome!
NothingLost wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:02 am
The site is well-designed and maintained, and the admins and contributors seem friendly and level-headed. Postings on the forum seem also to reflect a respectfully enthusiastic fanbase, which is important to me.
Thank you for the vote of confidence, and yeah I'll echo what Harlechmaker said, that while the types of behavior you describe are not entirely unknown in the general "FanderVerse", they're actively discouraged here. We do (very rarely!) have to moderate the occasional post, but more often than not that's due to some aspect of a post potentially divulging something the family or label might not be ready to share (or might not be ready to share yet, but our sleuthing Sherlocks found clues online before an official announcement had been made).

VanderVault

Post by VanderVault » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:44 am

NothingLost wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:02 am
Hello folks. I’ll start by saying I was somewhat hesitant to join, not because of Grace or her fans, but because of a past experience going down the rabbit hole of fandom. I’ll explain further, but first, I’ve been perusing this site for quite awhile, and it has become my go-to place to catch up on the latest from Grace. The site is well-designed and maintained, and the admins and contributors seem friendly and level-headed. Postings on the forum seem also to reflect a respectfully enthusiastic fanbase, which is important to me.

Being a fan is an enriching experience for me, especially being a fan of someone who is up-and-coming. It’s thrilling to watch a wonderful story unfold to become history in the making. Fandom, at its best, means belonging to a community of people who get your enthusiasm on both an intellectual and emotional level.

Now to explain my reluctance (hesitance) to join a fan forum. I was, and still am, a fan of someone I’ll call “Mary” for the sake of privacy. Mary’s break-out moment was, in a nutshell, very similar to Grace’s. Fans like me, bubbling over with excitement, found an outlet mainly on YouTube and on her newly created website/forum. But a handful of those fans, sometimes referred to as “OTT’s” (Over The Top), made life difficult for Mary, her team/family, and even other fans.

These OTT fans became warriors in a sense, to such an extent that both of Mary’s parents had to step in on multiple occasions. More importantly, their behavior had affected Mary personally (she even wrote a song about it). Here are some of the worst examples of behavior that caused her team to push back:

Fansplaining: Fans tend to find out a great deal of interesting information, but Mary’s team was put off by “authoritative” explanations, in posts, about her intentions, personal history, record label business, family matters, etc., that only the family/team would know.

Finger waving: Basically, chastising others for their opinions. An example would be telling someone they need their hearing checked if they point out that the sound mix was off at last night’s concert. On multiple occasions, Mary’s father reminded fans that she doesn’t need that kind of help.

My gal’s better than your gal: Claiming that Mary was “better” than (name your artist), even to the extent of posting these statements on other artists’ pages. This sadly prompted, from those other artists' fans, statements of resentment of Mary herself.

Hyperbole: Pretty common and harmless until it came to claiming that Mary was a “gift from God” in the literal sense, as in actually being sent on a divine mission to save the world. Mary’s mother was furious over this and told people to knock it off.

Overstepping: The most serious of all. Mary and her family had to deal with people following them, taking pictures of their house, age-inappropriate fawning, and even knocking on their door at home.

I have to be clear, these are not things I’ve observed in Grace’s fan community here, or to any large extent YouTube. I include them because, who doesn’t like a good cautionary tale, and because I’d hate to see any of this stuff affect Grace. There are always OTT’s in any fanbase. But I decided to join this forum because Grace’s fans do seem chill, friendly and intellectually honest. Grace certainly has something to do with that.
Welcome NothingLost (great handle, BTW)!

Excellent breakdown of fandoms in general.

We do go down the rabbit hole of "fansplaining" (great term) a bit, but try not to be too authoritative and clearly identify when we are delving into conjecture and deduction..we do need something to discuss on a discussion forum after all. ;) :thumbsup:

If you ever feel like submitting an article for publication on the Vault platforms, please feel free to do so at your leisure (submissions@vandervault.org). :thumbsup:

DarksomeNight

Post by DarksomeNight » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:39 pm

Welcome NothingLost! And thank you for your vote of confidence for the management of the site. It's a fine compliment. We're looking forward to hearing more from you.

NothingLost

Post by NothingLost » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:48 pm

Thank you for the warm welcoming! I've been in sponge mode ever since AGT, soaking in everything I can. When she won I felt like I'd won something too. :o Very happy to be here.
~ Joss Whedon

FredeeZiffel

Post by FredeeZiffel » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:51 am

NothingLost wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:48 pm
Thank you for the warm welcoming! I've been in sponge mode ever since AGT, soaking in everything I can. When she won I felt like I'd won something too. :o Very happy to be here.
Welcome NothingLost! I particularly noted something you "just" wrote which is well put and possibly applicable to many of Grace's long time fans: "When she won I felt like I'd won something too." That is so true! Grace's AGT journey really endeared her to those of us who felt that in addition to her talent and personality she truly deserved to have that recognition and validation, especially at that moment in her young life. I'm not one of those you mentioned who claims divine intervention is at work with Grace, but I do believe that she has much more to offer music and the world than hit tunes and a makeup sponsorship (though I'm sure those will come). Through her words and actions over the last three years Grace has proven herself to be a true champion in every sense of the word, an activist, a philanthropist, and worthy of admiration and emulation by young and old alike. So yes, I'd say we all won something when young Grace received that award, and I have found I was not the only one who sensed the special importance and appropriateness of Grace's win.

thatjeffguy

Post by thatjeffguy » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:45 pm

Hi, I’m Jeff…

I was fifteen years old when The Beatles appeared on the Ed Sullivan TV show. For almost my entire life I have believed that I had been witness to an extraordinary once-in-a-lifetime event in music history. That changed the evening of June 7th, 2016. That night I was again propelled into disbelief and the euphoria I hadn’t known since that February evening in 1964.

To say that the first of these two events had an immeasurable impact on my life is a profound understatement. Less than two years later I found myself in a band, performing frequently around my Southern California stomping grounds. We became popular due in part to our original songs, written primarily by me or in co-writes with one or more of my bandmates.

My life took many twists and turns in the ensuing years, but music and songwriting remained a huge focus. Finally, in late 1989, i decided to focus my efforts primarily on songwriting. As part of that effort, I acquired recording equipment so I could produce demos of my songs to send to my publishers. I soon realized that I loved the recording aspect as much as the songwriting!

Eventually the recording aspect took the forefront. Today, I own and operate a small recording studio outside of Seattle where I produce & record mostly local bands and artists. The bulk of my clientele are singer/songwriters, so my past experience serves me well in guiding the artists toward their goals.

On that June evening in 2016, I found myself cruising the channels on my TV, looking for something to watch. I had not been following AGT that season. I had in the past watched it, but found that I didn’t want to have to wade through jugglers, dancers, contortionists and magicians in the hopes that an occasional music act would appear.

As fate or chance (take your pick) would have it, my channel cruising stopped on AGT just long enough to hear them announce the next audition act… a thirteen year old ukulele playing singer/songwriter. She announce that she would be singing an original song!

I have watched enough of these competition shows to know a couple of things. 1. They discourage artists from singing original songs because audiences like to hear songs that are familiar to them, and 2. When an artist does present original material it is most often not successful at engaging the audience for any of a number of reasons.

So I watched as a skeptic that evening, but my skepticism began to evaporate with the first line of Grace’s song. By the time she uttered the lyric “I’m lost, trying to get found in an ocean of people” it was gone entirely! I was hooked. I was devastated. I was in tears! I was bewildered. What just happened? For the second time in my life I had been privileged to experience an historic and monumental musical event. First the Beatles and now Grace. Similar in scope and impact except for one glaring difference. In all the decades of being a devoted Beatle fan not once was I ever moved to tears by them or their music!

This is not to diminish the quality or importance of them and their music, it’s just that Grace brings forth a different aspect of song and performance, one that resonates on a deeper, almost spiritual level. She stirs emotions long buried beneath layers of hopelessness and cynicism acquired through a lifetime. She opens my floodgates, her songs excavate my soul. Rarely do I listen to grace’s songs that I don’t have to dab the tears from my cheeks. Extraordinary, unexpected and surprisingly welcome!

I know that so many of you can relate to these feelings and indeed share them. For many of us, we don’t understand why we are so deeply touched by Grace, nor do we need to. We are happy to enjoy, admire and be thankful for the fact that “Miracles can happen”.

VanderVault

Post by VanderVault » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:08 pm

thatjeffguy wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:45 pm
Hi, I’m Jeff…

I was fifteen years old when The Beatles appeared on the Ed Sullivan TV show. For almost my entire life I have believed that I had been witness to an extraordinary once-in-a-lifetime event in music history. That changed the evening of June 7th, 2016. That night I was again propelled into disbelief and the euphoria I hadn’t known since that February evening in 1964.

To say that the first of these two events had an immeasurable impact on my life is a profound understatement. Less than two years later I found myself in a band, performing frequently around my Southern California stomping grounds. We became popular due in part to our original songs, written primarily by me or in co-writes with one or more of my bandmates.

My life took many twists and turns in the ensuing years, but music and songwriting remained a huge focus. Finally, in late 1989, i decided to focus my efforts primarily on songwriting. As part of that effort, I acquired recording equipment so I could produce demos of my songs to send to my publishers. I soon realized that I loved the recording aspect as much as the songwriting!

Eventually the recording aspect took the forefront. Today, I own and operate a small recording studio outside of Seattle where I produce & record mostly local bands and artists. The bulk of my clientele are singer/songwriters, so my past experience serves me well in guiding the artists toward their goals.

On that June evening in 2016, I found myself cruising the channels on my TV, looking for something to watch. I had not been following AGT that season. I had in the past watched it, but found that I didn’t want to have to wade through jugglers, dancers, contortionists and magicians in the hopes that an occasional music act would appear.

As fate or chance (take your pick) would have it, my channel cruising stopped on AGT just long enough to hear them announce the next audition act… a thirteen year old ukulele playing singer/songwriter. She announce that she would be singing an original song!

I have watched enough of these competition shows to know a couple of things. 1. They discourage artists from singing original songs because audiences like to hear songs that are familiar to them, and 2. When an artist does present original material it is most often not successful at engaging the audience for any of a number of reasons.

So I watched as a skeptic that evening, but my skepticism began to evaporate with the first line of Grace’s song. By the time she uttered the lyric “I’m lost, trying to get found in an ocean of people” it was gone entirely! I was hooked. I was devastated. I was in tears! I was bewildered. What just happened? For the second time in my life I had been privileged to experience an historic and monumental musical event. First the Beatles and now Grace. Similar in scope and impact except for one glaring difference. In all the decades of being a devoted Beatle fan not once was I ever moved to tears by them or their music!

This is not to diminish the quality or importance of them and their music, it’s just that Grace brings forth a different aspect of song and performance, one that resonates on a deeper, almost spiritual level. She stirs emotions long buried beneath layers of hopelessness and cynicism acquired through a lifetime. She opens my floodgates, her songs excavate my soul. Rarely do I listen to grace’s songs that I don’t have to dab the tears from my cheeks. Extraordinary, unexpected and surprisingly welcome!

I know that so many of you can relate to these feelings and indeed share them. For many of us, we don’t understand why we are so deeply touched by Grace, nor do we need to. We are happy to enjoy, admire and be thankful for the fact that “Miracles can happen”.
Wow, Jeff, what an intro!

Welcome to the Vault, and we hope you share with us your insights as a fellow songwriter and producer!

I'd love to read your version of one of our "Lyrical Grace" song breakdowns. Would you be interested? If so please send your article to submissions@vandervault.org/submissions

Here are a few examples of the articles I'm talking about...

https://vandervault.org/2018/09/02/lyri ... ful-thing/

https://vandervault.org/2018/04/29/lyri ... e-florets/

https://vandervault.org/2018/04/21/lyri ... me-part-i/
https://vandervault.org/2018/04/22/lyri ... e-part-ii/

glenn_henrich

Re: Hi, my name is...Glenn from Virginia. I saw Graces auditions at AGT. Ever since then, I have been a fan.

Post by glenn_henrich » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:23 am

FanderwaalBelgium wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:05 pm
Hi!

My name is Hanne and I live in Belgium (Europe). I discovered Grace in 2017, so after her AGT-win. My youtube was on autoplay and suddenly I heard a voice that immediately fascinated me. It was Grace, of course, with her cover of 'scars to your beautiful'. I looked her up to see if she had music of her own and was surprised to see she had been on AGT. I immediately watched all her performances, loved her voice and songwriting skills and have been a fanderwaal since!

I must admit that I was a little disappointed when JTB came out. In comparison to the raw performances on AGT, the produced songs on JTB made me afraid that she would go in the 'general pop' direction and lose her unique style. Masterpieces like 'Darkness Keeps Chasing Me' and 'A Better Life' however convinced me that she still had her AGT magic and after listening to the album for a month, I also started to love her more 'mainstream' songs like 'talk good'.

Side note: I'm obsessed with the 3 new songs (stray, YGB and YSB) and I have a very good feeling about other songs she will release this year. Watching interviews with her shows how excited she is about this year and how proud she is about the music she's gonna release. The shows with Florence have been amazing so far and she seems very happy which makes us fanderwaals happy :)

JohnGordon

Post by JohnGordon » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:29 pm

Hi my name is John Taylor Gordon ( @jayteegaz Twitter) jayteegordon on youtube. Dawnsview on Flickr.
In the spring of 2017 I didn't know Grace's name, clueless. I was lying down, eyes closed, headphones on completely into the music. I had created a Sarah Braeilles online station. After Sarah and some related artist I heard " You think that you know my heart..." I was stunned, just completely amazed. The only thing that compares is when I was in high school and the Beatles came on the scene. I'm not comparing her work to the Beatles, just the fan experience. Unlike other artist I loved the Beatles AND their music and wanted to know everything about them. With my eyes closed Grace's music captivated me, later her charm and personality sealed the deal! Total fanboy now...fun, fun, fun. OK I said I wasn't comparing her to the Beatles but think about this, in seven MORE years Grace will be about the same age they were when the world discovered them! Wow!

Harlechmaker

Post by Harlechmaker » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:23 pm

JohnGordon wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:29 pm
Hi my name is John Taylor Gordon ( @jayteegaz Twitter) jayteegordon on youtube. Dawnsview on Flickr.
In the spring of 2017 I didn't know Grace's name, clueless. I was lying down, eyes closed, headphones on completely into the music. I had created a Sarah Braeilles online station. After Sarah and some related artist I heard " You think that you know my heart..." I was stunned, just completely amazed. The only thing that compares is when I was in high school and the Beatles came on the scene. I'm not comparing her work to the Beatles, just the fan experience. Unlike other artist I loved the Beatles AND their music and wanted to know everything about them. With my eyes closed Grace's music captivated me, later her charm and personality sealed the deal! Total fanboy now...fun, fun, fun. OK I said I wasn't comparing her to the Beatles but think about this, in seven MORE years Grace will be about the same age they were when the world discovered them! Wow!
Well said, and good points!

VanderVault

Post by VanderVault » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:36 am

JohnGordon wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:29 pm
Welcome John! :D

aldri49501

Post by aldri49501 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:40 am

Hi - my name is Ken, I'm 65 and live in Portland, OR. Being somewhat disabled over the past few years I have gotten a bit hooked on youtube. For some reason, I am especially attracted to upcoming young talent. First there was Astrid Smeplass. Then Rachel Flowers, a blind prodigy of unbelievable talent. Then six months ago I discovered British 12 year old singer extraordinare Beau Dermott. It was there that Grace's name first came up in a comments section. So quickly I punched Grace's name into youtube's search, and up popped "moonlight". WOW! I was immediately hooked and wrote back comparing her to Haley Mills, Tina Turner, and Joni Mitchell, all wrapped up into one.

I have been following Grace ever since. She is a phenomenal talent. I have followed the greats of rock, jazz, etc all my life as an amateur musician.
I'll admit I've had a "ukelele problem" all my life too, owing to Tiny Tim and "Tiptoe thru the Tulips" from way back in the 60's. Despite that, Grace shines as brightly as any talent I can ever remember. Bjork. Joni Mitchell. Imogen Heap. Diana Krall. Tori Amos. Taylor Swift. That is rarified air, but Grace's rise to superstardom is a story that fascinates me still. She takes a back seat to no one. Yes, Grace - Miracles DO happen, like the one that took place the moment you were born. Maybe 100 people in the entire world knew she sang AT ALL, let alone brilliantly, the day she first walked out on that stage at AGT. This is a story I fully expect will someday be told in a full length Hollywood film biography! Does anyone want to film the part where she goes back to her junior high school the day after her IDKMN appearance on AGT? Did she think to bring a bodyguard?

There is so much more about Grace that touches me deeply. For example, I believe her love for us as fans is as great as our love for her. Its frequently hugs all around. When I am not listening to her music, I am most likely to be watching vids where she is interacting with school kids or fans. Her demeanor always strikes me as almost spiritual while at the same she is connecting with everyone on such a familiar level.

Thats it for now. Hope to see this forum grow and get to know some of you a bit better. Best regards -

aldri49501
Last edited by aldri49501 on Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:48 am, edited 6 times in total.

VanderVault

Post by VanderVault » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:26 am

aldri49501 wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:40 am
Hi - my name is Ken, I'm 65 and live in Portland, OR. Being somewhat disabled over the past few years has gotten me a bit hooked on youtube. For some reason, I am especially attracted to young and upcoming talent. First there was Astrid Smeplass. Then Rachel Flowers, a blind prodigy of unbelievable talent. Then six months ago I discovered British 12 year old singer Beau Dermott. It was there that Grace's name first came up in a comments section. So quickly I punched Grace's name into youtube's search, and up popped "moonlight". WOW! I was immediately hooked and wrote back comparing her to Haley Mills, Tina Turner, and Joni Mitchell, all wrapped up into one.

I have been following Grace ever since. She is a phenomenal talent. I have followed the greats of rock, jazz, etc all my life as an amateur musician.
I'll admit I've had a "ukelele problem" all my life, owing to Tiny Tim and "Tiptoe thru the Tulips" from way back in the 60's. Despite that, Grace shines as brightly as any talent I can ever remember. Bjork. Joni Mitchell. Imogen Heap. Diana Krall. Tori Amos. Taylor Swift. That is rarified air, but Grace's rise to superstardom is a story that fascinates me still. She takes a back seat to no one. Yes, Grace - Miracles DO happen, like the one that took place the moment you were born. Maybe 50 people in the entire world knew she sang AT ALL, let alone brilliantly, the day she first walked out on that stage at AGT. This is a story I fully expect will someday be told in a full length Hollywood film biography! Does anyone want to film the part where she goes back to her junior high school the day after her IDKMN appearance on AGT? Did she think to bring a bodyguard?

There is so much more about Grace that touches me deeply. For example, I believe her love for us as fans is as great as our love for her. Its frequently hugs all around. When I am not listening to her music, I am most likely to be watching vids where she is interacting with school kids or fans. Her demeanor always strikes me as almost spiritual while at the same she is connecting with everyone on such a familiar level.

Thats it for now. Hope to see this forum grow and get to know some of you a bit better. Best regards -

aldri49501
Welcome Ken!

I have a feeling that Grace is going to take us on a wild musical ride over the next few years, as you said. :thumbsup:

Welcome! :D

PratiMoksha

Post by PratiMoksha » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:46 am

aldri49501 wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:40 am

aldri49501
Wow, great introduction, and welcome to the forum!

BruceBenson

Re: Hi, my name is Bruce Benson.

Post by BruceBenson » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:50 am

About nine years ago I began to follow Jackie Evancho and since then have enjoyed watching the evolution of a handful of other musical performers. I discovered Grace through her AGT idkmn performance and have kept close tabs on her since then. I caught her appearance at the Grammy Museum and concert later that evening as the ID opener at the Forum and will see her at El Rey in L.A.this week. As a teen I played sax and clarinet in a youth concert band that traveled in the Western U.S. and Canada as well as Europe one summer. I haven't played in years but the concert band experience turned me into a close listener. I enjoy performers who create their own music, such Grace, Sara Bareilles, Brandi Carlisle, Emily Bear and Amira Deutscher. I also greatly enjoy Patricia Janeckova and Angelina Jordan.
I wrote the news for daily newspapers for many years and then ran a full-service ad and pr agency. Nowadays I am developing two tech projects, one using augmented reality in a travel app for navigation and storytelling, the other using data science to bring the latest information about musical performers to one's phone and desktop. Interestingly, our research has found there are more than 80,000 musical performers worldwide for us to make available on our entertainment app, based on criteria that measures Spotify streams and followers and subscribers on Instagram and YouTube.

VanderVault

Post by VanderVault » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:35 am

BruceBenson wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:50 am
About nine years ago I began to follow Jackie Evancho and since then have enjoyed watching the evolution of a handful of other musical performers. I discovered Grace through her AGT idkmn performance and have kept close tabs on her since then. I caught her appearance at the Grammy Museum and concert later that evening as the ID opener at the Forum and will see her at El Rey in L.A.this week. As a teen I played sax and clarinet in a youth concert band that traveled in the Western U.S. and Canada as well as Europe one summer. I haven't played in years but the concert band experience turned me into a close listener. I enjoy performers who create their own music, such Grace, Sara Bareilles, Brandi Carlisle, Emily Bear and Amira Deutscher. I also greatly enjoy Patricia Janeckova and Angelina Jordan.
I wrote the news for daily newspapers for many years and then ran a full-service ad and pr agency. Nowadays I am developing two tech projects, one using augmented reality in a travel app for navigation and storytelling, the other using data science to bring the latest information about musical performers to one's phone and desktop. Interestingly, our research has found there are more than 80,000 musical performers worldwide for us to make available on our entertainment app, based on criteria that measures Spotify streams and followers and subscribers on Instagram and YouTube.
Welcome Bruce!

Thanks for sharing your story with us! :thumbsup:

PratiMoksha

Post by PratiMoksha » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:54 pm

BruceBenson wrote:
Nowadays I am developing two tech projects, one using augmented reality in a travel app for navigation and storytelling, the other using data science to bring the latest information about musical performers to one's phone and desktop. Interestingly, our research has found there are more than 80,000 musical performers worldwide for us to make available on our entertainment app, based on criteria that measures Spotify streams and followers and subscribers on Instagram and YouTube.
Both of those projects sound really fascinating. Would love to hear when either of them goes to beta testing, although the music one is especially interesting in the context of this forum, of course.

aldri49501

Post by aldri49501 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:46 pm

BruceBenson wrote:
I enjoy performers who create their own music, such Grace, Sara Bareilles, Brandi Carlisle, Emily Bear and Amira Deutscher. I also greatly enjoy Patricia Janeckova and Angelina Jordan.
Thanks for the recommendations on some newer talents and welcome to Vandervault. We have similar interests in that regard. And since you also mentioned Alma Deutscher, I guess that opens it up to just about any talent in any genre. With that in mind, I'll put Rachel Flowers name out there (although with your experience you probably know of her already), and link you to her first album, all songs composed by her. It is phenomenal. Listen to the first track, Gregs Favorite. Rachel is a blind savant and her gifts are probably only exceeded by Alma.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toA6MEK ... vkEQ1CGe1c

OK, back to Grace. Grace, work on your piano chops and who knows what you'll be doing at 25 (Rachels age)

BruceBenson

Post by BruceBenson » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:20 am

Thanks aldri49501. Allow me to tell an amusing story about Alma (not Almira, my bad) Deutscher from a couple of years ago when she was about 12. I happened to be spending a weekend in Galway, Ireland, and saw in the newspaper that she was giving a concert that afternoon. I attended and one piece she played was an early Bach. With her lovely smile she said, and I am paraphrasing here, "As I studied the music it was interesting to see how he made some of the same rookie mistakes I made with my first concertos (remember, she is about 12 at the time), and so i started to correct his mistakes, but then my father said he didn't think Bach would appreciate that."

VanderVault

Post by VanderVault » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:51 am

BruceBenson wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:20 am
"As I studied the music it was interesting to see how he made some of the same rookie mistakes I made with my first concertos (remember, she is about 12 at the time), and so i started to correct his mistakes, but then my father said he didn't think Bach would appreciate that."
Gulp! :shock:

FanderWaal

Post by FanderWaal » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:10 am

Hello there! My name is FanderWaal since I am a fan of Grace VanderWaal. It’s really lovely to meet all of you. I have been a fan of Grace since her A.G.T. audition wayyyy back in 2016. I remember that once she came onstage, and the first note tumbled out of her mouth, I turned around to my mother, and said “She will win A.G.T.” Making, I don’t know my name the first song that I heard by her. Since that day though, we all know she has accomplished so much more than this. She was the first music artist that I ever became a fan of, and well I look forward to seeing our beautiful Stargirl shine on. I still can’t believe that I am going to go see her on tour this week. <3

VanderVault

Post by VanderVault » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:13 am

FanderWaal wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:10 am
Hello there! My name is FanderWaal since I am a fan of Grace VanderWaal. It’s really lovely to meet all of you. I have been a fan of Grace since her A.G.T. audition wayyyy back in 2016. I remember that once she came onstage, and the first note tumbled out of her mouth, I turned around to my mother, and said “She will win A.G.T.” Making, I don’t know my name the first song that I heard by her. Since that day though, we all know she has accomplished so much more than this. She was the first music artist that I ever became a fan of, and well I look forward to seeing our beautiful Stargirl shine on. I still can’t believe that I am going to go see her on tour this week. <3

Have fun at the concert! :thumbsup:

SAnne1985

Post by SAnne1985 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:26 pm

Hi my name is Shalini, and I first heard Grace’s music in 2017 after my sister showed me her videos on AGT, and some of her music videos.I really thought that she brought something to the music industry, I thought that it was really inspiring to see another shield of a young age to make such a big impact on the world and on music itself. Grace really has a beautiful voice and spirit, and I am glad that she uses her talent to bring joy to others. I also recently visited one of her concerts and, I had the best day and time that I think I have had in years.

VanderVault

Post by VanderVault » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:29 am

SAnne1985 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:26 pm
Hi my name is Shalini, and I first heard Grace’s music in 2017 after my sister showed me her videos on AGT, and some of her music videos.I really thought that she brought something to the music industry, I thought that it was really inspiring to see another shield of a young age to make such a big impact on the world and on music itself. Grace really has a beautiful voice and spirit, and I am glad that she uses her talent to bring joy to others. I also recently visited one of her concerts and, I had the best day and time that I think I have had in years.

claw568332

Post by claw568332 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:10 am

SAnne1985 wrote:
You just decided to not mention that I’m your sister huh??? I feel betrayed :cry: :lol:

VanderVault

Post by VanderVault » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:25 am

claw568332 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:10 am
SAnne1985 wrote:
You just decided to not mention that I’m your sister huh??? I feel betrayed :cry: :lol:
:lol:

KatyLipaNL

Post by KatyLipaNL » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:59 am

Hi!

I'm KatyLipaNL.
I'm 26 and from the Netherlands.

I stan Grace Vanderwaal since AGT but I think that Letters is her best work so far.

I also stan Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Camila Cabello, all the 5H girls and their solo careers, Dua Lipa

I own a forum myself so I might not be that active but its nice meeting some fellow Grace stans!

PratiMoksha

Post by PratiMoksha » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:54 am

KatyLipaNL wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:59 am
Hi!

I'm KatyLipaNL.

I stan Grace Vanderwaal since AGT but I think that Letters is her best work so far.

I also stan Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Camila Cabello, all the 5H girls and their solo careers, Dua Lipa

I own a forum myself so I might not be that active but its nice meeting some fellow Grace stans!
Hi KatyLipaNL, and welcome to our little corner of the GraceVerse!

KatyLipaNL

Post by KatyLipaNL » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:32 am

PratiMoksha wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:54 am
KatyLipaNL wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:59 am
Hi!

I'm KatyLipaNL.

Hi KatyLipaNL, and welcome to our little corner of the GraceVerse!
Why was my thread merged into this one?

PratiMoksha

Post by PratiMoksha » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:22 pm

KatyLipaNL wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:32 am
Sorry, I forgot to leave a copy of the thread you started, with an explanation of the merge, but here it is:

This thread, "Hi, my name is...", is for introductions, so we have them all in one location, easy to find again, should we ever need to remind ourselves which one is Ben43 and which one Ben34 (made-up names).

KatyLipaNL

Post by KatyLipaNL » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:39 pm

PratiMoksha wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:22 pm
KatyLipaNL wrote:
Sorry, I forgot to leave a copy of the thread you started, with an explanation of the merge, but here it is:

This thread, "Hi, my name is...", is for introductions, so we have them all in one location, easy to find again, should we ever need to remind ourselves which one is Ben43 and which one Ben34 (made-up names).
Everything has pros and cons. A big con of this method is that introductions get a less chance of getting seen. I know this from my own experience of 15 years in forums.

EricH

Post by EricH » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:47 pm

KatyLipaNL wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:39 pm
PratiMoksha wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:22 pm
KatyLipaNL wrote:

Everything has pros and cons. A big con of this method is that introductions get a less chance of getting seen. I know this from my own experience of 15 years in forums.
Any time that there is a new post in this thread, I immediately check it out, but I can see the possibility that a new thread might be seen by more people. Perhaps in future a compromise could be reached with a copy of a post finding it's way into this thread while leaving the original post alone.

PratiMoksha

Post by PratiMoksha » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:35 pm

Guys, this has not come up as a problem so far. A new post is a new post, and is highlighted on the index page regardless whether it appears as a reply to an existing thread or as a new thread.

NothingLost

Post by NothingLost » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:21 pm

PratiMoksha wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:35 pm
Guys, this has not come up as a problem so far. A new post is a new post, and is highlighted on the index page regardless whether it appears as a reply to an existing thread or as a new thread.
Exactly. I bounce all over this forum following the various discussions. If it's interesting..if you post it, they will come. ;)
~ Joss Whedon

EricH

Post by EricH » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:53 am

PratiMoksha wrote:
The thing is everyone is at a different level of expertise when it comes to navigating this site. I have been bouncing around this forum for eight months and only just this past week discovered the feature near the upper left hand corner "Quick links" that allows me to quickly find new and/or unread posts.

PratiMoksha

Post by PratiMoksha » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:45 am

EricH wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:53 am
The thing is everyone is at a different level of expertise when it comes to navigating this site. I have been bouncing around this forum for eight months and only just this past week discovered the feature near the upper left hand corner "Quick links" that allows me to quickly find new and/or unread posts.
New posts (i.e. new FOR YOU) are highlighted with bright blue speech bubbles on the home page (left-hand column). Click on the name of the post (in the right-hand column, called "Last Post") and you will be taken directly to the first of the new posts.

If there is more than one thread with new posts in a given forum, there will still be a blue speech bubble next to it when you return to the home page. For example, in the "State of Grace" forum there are usually three or four threads with new posts when I open it in the morning. If so, you can click on "State of Grace" instead, to enter that forum and see the threads with new posts.

Another way, when you've finished a thread, is to step one level up by using the breadcrumbs menu above (you know, the series of links above that says Board Index < Graceful Conversation < Introduce Yourself to the Forum in the case of this post. From where you are reading this right now, clicking on on Graceful Conversation will show you all the threads in that section.)

Spreading introductions out into separate threads just adds to the number of places to browse through.

EricH

Post by EricH » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:59 am

EricH wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:53 am
PratiMoksha wrote:

EricH

Post by EricH » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:13 am

PratiMoksha wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:45 am
Spreading introductions out into separate threads just adds to the number of places to browse through.
I am aware that you have some marvelous navigation aids, and I am grateful for them. But what is clear and obvious to some is not clear and obvious to all. That is just human nature. The thing is, with all these marvelous navigation aids, does it really matter if the number of places to browse through grows ridiculously. By clicking on Quick links I can immediately see all the stuff that I have yet to browse. I am sorry. the truth is I actually prefer the way it is now, But I've got this nasty streak in me that on occasion needs to play devil's advocate.

PratiMoksha

Post by PratiMoksha » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:00 pm

For anyone reading the posts in the future, it is much easier to browse one thread with 200 posts than 100 threads with two posts each.

It is also important that people who are new to the forum go to the Introductions thread, read what others said before them, and thus get a good feel for the particular culture of this community.

Finally, double-posting, i.e. duplicating posts into the Introductions thread, is double work for me. Yes, this community is an essential part of the VanderVault, but it is not the only wing of the VanderVault, and definitely not the only task required to keep this ship on course. (Several websites, sourcing articles, a twitter presence, working on the documentary, occasional contests, weekly recap videos... Even with a handful of us doing the various tasks, I'm not keen to design double work into our flow.)

EricH

Post by EricH » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:28 am

PratiMoksha wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:00 pm
For anyone reading the posts in the future, it is much easier to browse one thread with 200 posts than 100 threads with two posts each.

It is also important that people who are new to the forum go to the Introductions thread, read what others said before them, and thus get a good feel for the particular culture of this community.

Finally, double-posting, i.e. duplicating posts into the Introductions thread, is double work for me. Yes, this community is an essential part of the VanderVault, but it is not the only wing of the VanderVault, and definitely not the only task required to keep this ship on course. (Several websites, sourcing articles, a twitter presence, working on the documentary, occasional contests, weekly recap videos... Even with a handful of us doing the various tasks, I'm not keen to design double work into our flow.)
I apologize for pushing you to this. OTOH this is a very good synopsis of what you do and why, and it is now here for all to see. What you and your compatriots on this site do is a benefit to all FanderWaals everywhere whether they visit this site or not. And I will try my best to stop wasting your time. BTW in my own small way I try to promote this site whenever it occurs to me by adding a link to it in the comment sections of Grace videos.

PratiMoksha

Post by PratiMoksha » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:55 pm

Oh dear, re-reading my last post I think I sounded a bit crotchety. Sorry, that was not actually my intention. :oops:

Thank you for helping out by pointing people in this direction Eric. We are of course very proud to play host to such a wonderful community of people, but it's also nice validation when we see our regulars saying good things about this place out on the larger Internet!

Iamagracefan

Post by Iamagracefan » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:25 am

emuell85 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:45 pm
Ernst Müllner, both on social media and - you guessed it - in in real life :D
How did my journey into the Vanderverse start? During a depression episode, almost exactly one year after Grace won AGT, I stumbled across her audition video. I remember quite clearly it was about 10:00 a.m. For the rest of the day I was literally choking on tears every few minutes again when watching another video. Sealed deal. In the following days almost manically I watched every video and read all articles referring to Grace. Depression over.
Soon thereafter I started commenting on Grace's videos and began communicating with other fans via this unsuitable medium. A few months later, together with Mark and some other FanderWaals, we began thinking about a way to actively support Grace in a 'structured' manner, culminating in what eventually became the VanderVault that you know today. To this day I am the archivist of the Vault, organizing, sorting, and annotating everything we can get our hands on (130 GB as of now) with the aim of documenting Grace's career.
I should end with the statement that never before in my 64 years I was a fan of any artist to an extent even remotely close to what I am experiencing now, every day.
Thank you so much for all that you do for Grace!

Iamagracefan

Post by Iamagracefan » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:36 am

VanderVault wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:25 am
claw568332 wrote:
SAnne1985 wrote:
Now I am confused I thought Vandervault was Mark? Help?

Iamagracefan

Post by Iamagracefan » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:50 am

thatjeffguy wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:45 pm
Hi, I’m Jeff…

I was 11 when I heard the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show and they were always my favorite. I feel the same way about Grace when I first heard her.

Iamagracefan

Post by Iamagracefan » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:51 am

PratiMoksha wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:27 am
My (online) name is Prati Moksha. The first Grace song I heard was "So Much More Than This", on well-known singer Sigrid's Spotify playlist, sometime in May 2018. Grace's voice stopped me in my tracks (literally, so I could read her bio), and I was stunned to find that that voice belonged to such a young person. Intrigued, I then followed her trajectory through AGT, and then dove deep into the YT archives, emerging (even more) stunned after having heard Darkness Keeps Chasing Me and at that point realized I was a fan for life.
Thank you for all you do for Grace. I really appreciate this forum.

Iamagracefan

Post by Iamagracefan » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:55 am

MariaPaulaLHR wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:06 pm
Hi everyone!! My name is ...Maria!!! I am the owner of GraceVWNews account available in all social medias plataform :D
Is that on Facebook? I am not on Facebook so I am wondering if she reads your account and if she has ever said why she does not sing
You'll Get Bored? I would give my eye tooth if she would publish that song and sing it at concerts. She said she likes it, I love it.
Thank you!

Iamagracefan

Post by Iamagracefan » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:04 am

VanderVault wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:20 pm
Late to the party as usual! :lol:

Great topic, Prati! :thumbsup:

So amazing to read all of your stories, everyone. Thanks so much for sharing! :heart:

My name is Mark Lalonde and I am nothing if not a shameless VanderVault promoter...

Here's my story, somewhat buried within a "Lyrical Grace" article I wrote back on June 17th, 2018...

https://vandervault.org/2018/06/17/lyri ... t-the-sky/
Mark, what a story, how you have time for all you do I will never know, but I am so very grateful to you.
I love reading about Grace. I am so sorry about your wife. You are both in my thoughts.
Thank you again for everything you are doing. I cannot wait for the 2 part documentary on Grace.

PratiMoksha

Post by PratiMoksha » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:38 am

Iamagracefan wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:36 am
VanderVault wrote:
claw568332 wrote:

LOL, it gets confusing with the many levels of nested comments sometimes. Look again and you will see that Mark, a.k.a. VanderVault, responded with a laughing emoji to the previous comment that Claire (username claw568332) posted to new member Shalini (username SAnne1985), who happens to be Claire's sister.

VanderVault

Post by VanderVault » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:43 am

Iamagracefan wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:36 am
VanderVault wrote:
claw568332 wrote:

I just thought the exchange between sisters was funny. Sorry. :thumbsup:

Iamagracefan

Post by Iamagracefan » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:58 am

One night I could not sleep, grabbed my iPad and after watching ice dancing I noticed something in my feed called AGT. I had never heard of it and decided to watch the video.I am so particular about music and singing. I cannot stand screaming pop music. So was I surprised when I heard Grace. I absolutely love her voice. Since I did not discover her until the end of 2017 I was busy catching up on all that I missed. My friends think I am crazy. I am a retired RN, they just do not appreciate that a young teenager can be so talented. I hope someday they will appreciate Grace. What amazes me is not only is she talented, sincere, kind, but she is very intelligent in a social appreciation way. She understands society in a way that so few people do. There is only one instance that bothers me, but she did not feel well, so she was not up to pare. It’s when someone mentioned on the forum that he paid extra for meet and greet, she took the picture with him and walked away. My feelings would have been hurt too.
I wish I remembered who that was. Does anyone remember?

I used to comment on everything on Youtube Grace related. I am a busy person and had to stop doing that , but I certainly appreciate Vandervault and all that is being done to enhance Grace. I have not been so excited about a singer/musician since the Beatles. I love Grace’s voice and what she does with her songs. I am so bored by pretty much everyone else. I spend a lot of time reading/exploring on the Vandervault site. I always wonder if Grace reads anything on the site??

I also wonder what access we have to the vault. I am hoping everything gets saved. I asked about something the other day, but did not get an answer, if the four videos Jenn Mountúfar did are included in the vault. They are very well done.

There are many things about this forum I do not understand, but I appreciate it so much since the only social media I am on is YouTube, under the name Inez, (formally, Gemma).

There is only one more thing I would like to say. Unless I bring up Grace’s name, wear her
T-shirt and someone asks me about it, or at the Denver airport I saw a poster with her quote about being kind to others; if I do not seek out information I hear absolutely nothing about her.

Actually there is one more thing. I heard the other day that it is better for a person in the music industry to build up slowly and to be found gradually. Historically if the person gets a #1 hit first thing then their career goes downhill from there. So it sounds like Grace is doing the right thing.

I absolutely cannot wait for Stargirl.
Thank you to all of you that work so hard on Vandervault. Thank you a million!!!

Iamagracefan

Post by Iamagracefan » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:28 pm

Iamagracefan wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:58 am
One night I could not sleep, grabbed my iPad and after watching ice dancing I noticed something in my feed called AGT. I had never heard of it and decided to watch the video.I am so particular about music and singing. I cannot stand screaming pop music. So was I surprised when I heard Grace. I absolutely love her voice. Since I did not discover her until the end of 2017 I was busy catching up on all that I missed. My friends think I am crazy. I am a retired RN, they just do not appreciate that a young teenager can be so talented. I hope someday they will appreciate Grace. What amazes me is not only is she talented, sincere, kind, but she is very intelligent in a social appreciation way. She understands society in a way that so few people do. There is only one instance that bothers me, but she did not feel well, so she was not up to pare. It’s when someone mentioned on the forum that he paid extra for meet and greet, she took the picture with him and walked away. My feelings would have been hurt too.
I wish I remembered who that was. Does anyone remember?

I used to comment on everything on Youtube Grace related. I am a busy person and had to stop doing that , but I certainly appreciate Vandervault and all that is being done to enhance Grace. I have not been so excited about a singer/musician since the Beatles. I love Grace’s voice and what she does with her songs. I am so bored by pretty much everyone else. I spend a lot of time reading/exploring on the Vandervault site. I always wonder if Grace reads anything on the site??

I also wonder what access we have to the vault. I am hoping everything gets saved. I asked about something the other day, but did not get an answer, if the four videos Jenn Mountúfar did are included in the vault. They are very well done.

There are many things about this forum I do not understand, but I appreciate it so much since the only social media I am on is YouTube, under the name Inez, (formally, Gemma).

There is only one more thing I would like to say. Unless I bring up Grace’s name, wear her
T-shirt and someone asks me about it, or at the Denver airport I saw a poster with her quote about being kind to others; if I do not seek out information I hear absolutely nothing about her.

Actually there is one more thing. I heard the other day that it is better for a person in the music industry to build up slowly and to be found gradually. Historically if the person gets a #1 hit first thing then their career goes downhill from there. So it sounds like Grace is doing the right thing.

I absolutely cannot wait for Stargirl.
Thank you to all of you that work so hard on Vandervault. Thank you a million!!!
I forgot to mention that Grace gave me the courage to attend our local “open mic” and play my three silly pieces. If she can give a 67 year old such courage imagine what she can do for the world. I admire and respect Grace very much.

anthonminsky

Re: My Intro to Grace

Post by anthonminsky » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:06 pm

PratiMoksha wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:06 pm
anthonminsky wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:01 am
I will add to this later
Tony, welcome to the forum and just FYI, I moved your post here into the "Hi, my name is..." thread where everyone is introducing themselves. :)
Thank you, because I want to always do the right thing :D. Even if helped.

anthonminsky

Re: My Intro to Grace

Post by anthonminsky » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:30 pm

OddHeavens wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:56 am
anthonminsky wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:01 am
My daughter criticized it saying it was too indie copying. She was speaking of the line 'so you think you are my sisters friend, you get along so nicely'. And she did have a little indie accent with that part.
What do you mean with Indie copying? Sorry I don't know what that is :D
My introduction to Grace was almost the same as yours, only that I watched the video like two yers later.
I still can't understand how a little girl could write such songs, It amazes me.
It doesn't matter. It just so happens that my daughter respects Grace nowadays. In fact, not too long ago, she called her a 'real artist'. How 'bout that? :)

So, a little continuation to my personal Grace story - If anyone remembers that in 2016 we had the Rio summer olympics and Grace's 'Beautiful Thing' performance came far longer than in a non-Agt/Olympics year. I remember feeling in real suspense for it to finally happen. By the way, I haven't been a real fan of the Golden Buzzer ever since. All's it really means is less performances from an act you wish there were more performances of. That would have meant another song from Grace. If it was Gossip Girl, she would have had a standing ovation for that too and we'd have an AGT live version of it to watch forever :).

After the audition, while waiting so long for the second performance, I did a lot of looking her up. Got familiar with 12 Stars and Miss You and The difference is the point and Gossip Girl and The good Just Gets Better, and the last two were like a week or two before the Beautiful Thing performance. Looked like she performed those in a hotel room waiting for AGT stuff to do. AND! I had already fallin in love with I'll hold Your Hand (Beautiful Thing) home version. I swear I remember thinking to myself, if she performed this song she would totally blow the show away. And I remember at that point, not knowing she'd do another original, not expecting it. She could have done a cover and that wouldn't have surprised me with what I've seen before with other contestants. But I did have a little more hope than most because of her other originals I saw on Y

oops got company