Friday, September 20th, 2019... "AGT: Champions - By the Numbers"

A forum for weekly (and occasionally more frequent) discussions regarding Grace's career, prompted by an editorial by one of our writers.
VanderVault

Friday, September 20th, 2019... "AGT: Champions - By the Numbers"

Post by VanderVault » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:34 pm

The VanderVault staff have written an article about AGT Champions, its fairly complicated set of rules, how the shows are filmed completely differently than the regular AGT season, it's ratings and the limited financial award for the winner. It makes no judgement calls on whether Grace would or should compete, but provides all of the data you need in order to come up with an informed opinion.

AGT: Champions - By the Numbers
By VanderVault Staff

As the “Ur So Beautiful” tour concludes, Grace’s fans are looking ahead to a fall EP, a looming Stargirl movie premiere in early 2020, and a lot of speculation about other potential moves. Over the last few years, many have debated the pros and cons of her returning to the America’s Got Talent stage, in order to raise her profile and please the chief of her recording label. When AGT: Champions was announced in mid-2018, many questioned if Grace would, or should, participate. While in the end, she did not appear due to scheduling conflicts with filming, the question of her potential appearance in future seasons remains open. While arguments for or against her involvement may be outlined elsewhere, the following set of facts, statistics, and observations have been compiled to inform those who may not be aware of the format or context of the show, which will broadcast its second season in early 2020.

- AGT: Champions is filmed in the early fall for broadcast in early winter, and there are no separate results shows for the five qualifying-round episodes.

- With only 10 acts per qualifying AGT: Champions show, some of the tight performance-time restrictions are somewhat relaxed. Songs performed by various acts in the first season routinely went over two minutes, and in the finals, Susan Boyle’s “I Dreamed A Dream” performance ran more than two minutes and forty seconds, precluding the need for extensive trimming to existing songs in order for them to be performed.

- The MOST performing appearances one can have based on last year's Champions example is only three - one time for the qualifying round, one time for the finals, and perhaps one time for the finale. Darci Lynne Farmer and Preacher Lawson each had three performances, with Lawson's finale segment being prerecorded.

- Even if a Champions act is not advanced to the finals, it may be invited to perform again in the finale. Acts like the Clairvoyants, Tokio Myers, Jackie Evancho, Brian Justin Crum, and Cristina Ramos all appeared on the finale having not advanced from their one competitive performance.

- The qualifying shows are not live, and no large swaths of the American viewing public need to be convinced of anyone's worthiness to continue to the finals. Advancements are instead decided by either the panel of judges or a small group of "superfans", some 50 secret deciders spread throughout the country. While the choice of these voters is hidden and their impartiality is only assumed, it is likely that they would be directed to evaluate each contestant's performance on its own merit, and not to make any judgment in comparison to their previous contest history.

- The odds of making it past the opening round of Champions are a lot worse than a similar round of regular AGT competition. With 50 acts and only 12 finalists, by pure numbers, Champions contestants had a 24% advancement rate beyond the qualifying round, compared to a 42% advancement rate from AGT Season 13 Judge Cuts, a 61% advancement rate from the Quarterfinals, and a 45% advancement rate from the Semis. The bottom line is that because of the format there is less of a potential stigma from being eliminated early, as previous AGT winners Bianca Ryan, Paul Zerdin and Kenichi Ibina can likely attest.

- While the judges' role in the preliminary rounds of "regular" AGT is quite important, once the live shows begin, the judges are more of an afterthought, able to only move contestants forward to the next live round through a weekly save or a wild card. As an example, in the Season 13 Quarterfinals, only four of the 22 advancing acts (18%) were through due to their intercession. The AGT: Champions format has judges deciding seven of the 12 finalists (58%) through golden buzzers and wildcards, compared to only five (42%) though superfan voting.

- The pressure to win purely for the prize pool is relatively low. Besides being named "World Champion", a hollow title since the advent of the Britain's Got Talent: Champions competition in mid-2019, the winner's reward is a cash prize of US$25,000. While enough to be a useful benefit to the winner, many participants are likely to earn well more than that simply by appearing, through the bump in their professional careers that televised exposure would bring.

- Out of 50 contestant acts, the first AGT: Champions season had five previous AGT Winners, (Champions winner Shin Lim, Farmer, Ryan, Zerdin and Ibina) as well as 15 Top Five AGT finishers and another nine AGT finalists. The contest also included 13 winners of Got Talent competitions worldwide.

- Ratings for AGT: Champions were off considerably from the live shows of the previous AGT season. The five quarter- and semi-final episodes of AGT Season 13 averaged 10.91 million viewers, while the comparable first five episodes of Champions averaged 9.98 million viewers, an 8.5% drop. The Finals and Finale of the two seasons showed an even greater disparity, with 12.99 million and 12.88 million viewers for the last two episodes of AGT Season 13, and only 10.44 million and 10.57 million viewers for the final two shows of AGT: Champions. Most importantly, the numbers were even worse in the key 18-49 year-old demographic bracket, with Season 13 garnering a 2.22 average rating for that group and Champions only pulling down 1.70. While reasons can be speculated for the drop, there are some distinct scheduling differences. The regular AGT seasons broadcast from early June through mid-September, the off-season for traditional network television; AGT: Champions premiered in early January and ran through the end of February 2019, coming up against top-level competition through the February sweeps period. The show was also clearly scheduled and positioned as counter-programing, airing directly against the first seven episodes of ABC-TV’s The Bachelor. Regardless of the reasons, the Champions shows are somewhat less of a draw than AGT proper.

RogerPyle

Re: Friday, September 20th, 2019... "AGT: Champions - By the Numbers"

Post by RogerPyle » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:03 pm

The season 2 filming schedule is:
Thursday, October 3rd
Sunday, October 6th
Thursday, October 10th
Saturday, October 12th
Tuesday, October 15th
Friday, October 18th

If Grace disappears for those three weeks or is spotted out and about in LA, I suppose that would be an indicator that she is participating in the show. NBC didn't announce last year's participants until the middle of November.

Anyone can apply to be a "Superfan" voter.

https://champions.americasgottalentauditions.com/

TomKauffman

Post by TomKauffman » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:12 pm

Thanks for the write-up on how this works. The program now makes a bit more sense, as it now seems to be an opportunity for previous US top acts to pitch themselves yet again on a national platform. There are a few that don't really need the exposure, but one of the old publicity maxims used to be "there's no such thing as bad publicity" - no longer strictly accurate now, but still a bit relevant. Disguising it as a "competition" allows the judges air time (see 'publicity', above) and ties it back to AGT. Without that, it would just be an oddly formatted variety show.

Harlechmaker

Post by Harlechmaker » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:35 pm

The real question is whether contestants from the first season will be allowed (read: invited) to compete again this year. It makes a big difference, I would think.

TomKauffman

Post by TomKauffman » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:05 pm

Harlechmaker wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:35 pm
The real question is whether contestants from the first season will be allowed (read: invited) to compete again this year. It makes a big difference, I would think.
Good point!

RogerPyle

Post by RogerPyle » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:28 pm

Harlechmaker wrote:
The first season? Why would that be any different than any other?

Anyway, filming begins this week. I guess folks will keep track of where Grace goes probably from Wednesday on.

VanderVault

Post by VanderVault » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:45 pm

RogerPyle wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:28 pm
Harlechmaker wrote:
The first season? Why would that be any different than any other?

Anyway, filming begins this week. I guess folks will keep track of where Grace goes probably from Wednesday on.
I think he meant the first season of AGT Champions...probably... :?

Harlechmaker

Post by Harlechmaker » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:59 pm

Yes, I meant AGT Champions season 1. If the contestants from last year can perform/compete again, then it's gonna get old really fast. If it's only going to be open to people and acts that didn't appear in the last one, then the talent pool is significantly reduced. Not sure of how long they can keep doing Champions in either case.

PratiMoksha

Post by PratiMoksha » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:29 pm

It all seems a bit recursive. What's next, Champions of the Champions?

BradHaney

Post by BradHaney » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:42 pm

PratiMoksha wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:29 pm
It all seems a bit recursive. What's next, Champions of the Champions?
Or Grace could join in the "The Golden Buzz-off" vs. all the other previous Golden Buzzers...

Or maybe just Howie as judge, and only the Howie Golden Buzzers compete:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVINqvofiyQ (Grace of course featured last at 10:15, as she's the most famous HGB).

RogerPyle

Post by RogerPyle » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:52 pm

The first season of Britains Got Talent Champions is wrapping up this week (Oct 5th). Taping was completed at the end of July.

Might see some familiar names on the list. Allegedly the winner(s) blew the secrecy after the last taping by parading around outside the theater with the trophy so it's already known who won; however, I did a brief search and news outlets did not reveal the winner(s), but they did report the faux pas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britain%2 ... _Champions

Also on this front, AGT Champions judges this season are:
Simon Cowell
Heidi Klum
Alesha Dixon (British singer and also BGT judge)
Howie Mandel

Terry Crews as MC.

FredeeZiffel

Post by FredeeZiffel » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:57 pm

I can see a benefit to Grace appearing as a guest to perform and promote, but not to compete - I hope she does not. She has nothing to prove and it just resets the clock on being tagged as an "AGT contestant" in the media all over again, and winning would be all but meaningless in my opinion.

VanderVault

Post by VanderVault » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:39 pm

FredeeZiffel wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:57 pm
I can see a benefit to Grace appearing as a guest to perform and promote, but not to compete - I hope she does not. She has nothing to prove and it just resets the clock on being tagged as an "AGT contestant" in the media all over again, and winning would be all but meaningless in my opinion.
1,000% :thumbsup:

Harlechmaker

Post by Harlechmaker » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:05 pm

FredeeZiffel wrote:
Yes, having her appear in the finale as a non-competing guest, performing something off of the EP, and right around the Stargirl premiere date, would not be unseemly.

anthonminsky

Post by anthonminsky » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:30 am

Seriously though. I feel that her respectability out there from fans and critics and fellow musicians makes being a contestant on this show so inconsistent to who she is as an artist right now. It almost seems silly.

To me, she never fit that show from the get go. I know it's what it was and it did its thing. But when you think of her story, of when her and her mom went to the auditions for a fun thing to do together, not expecting AT ALL the outcome. The family and Grace herself didn't realize what a unique brilliant artist she was. Of course credit has to go to the show for its ability to put her in every living room in the world as quick as that could ever happen for anybody. But it also put a lot of other contestants in that big of a limelight who barely got any farther than the show. It's that fact that limits the shows credit in my mind in regards to Grace. She was truly bigger than the show. Much much bigger. I hope Simon Cowell was serious when he said he was 'flattered' she chose that show to come on, cause that was as accurate as can be. They were the fortunate ones. And from the Grace VanderWaal story, (coming soon to VanderVault :)) she did pick the show at random. If she was older and chose American Idol like she wanted to in the first place, AGT wouldn't even be in any of our discussions.

You know what I would hate? Is if she feels she has to eventually do one of these champion seasons out of guilt or obligation cause of her history with the show. Someone out there making her feel she owes it to the show. That would suck.

But you know what I'd love?!!!! If she did do it, and then went and done won the whole darn thing? :).

VanderVault

Post by VanderVault » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:24 am

anthonminsky wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:30 am
Seriously though. I feel that her respectability out there from fans and critics and fellow musicians makes being a contestant on this show so inconsistent to who she is as an artist right now. It almost seems silly.

To me, she never fit that show from the get go. I know it's what it was and it did its thing. But when you think of her story, of when her and her mom went to the auditions for a fun thing to do together, not expecting AT ALL the outcome. The family and Grace herself didn't realize what a unique brilliant artist she was. Of course credit has to go to the show for its ability to put her in every living room in the world as quick as that could ever happen for anybody. But it also put a lot of other contestants in that big of a limelight who barely got any farther than the show. It's that fact that limits the shows credit in my mind in regards to Grace. She was truly bigger than the show. Much much bigger. I hope Simon Cowell was serious when he said he was 'flattered' she chose that show to come on, cause that was as accurate as can be. They were the fortunate ones. And from the Grace VanderWaal story, (coming soon to VanderVault :)) she did pick the show at random. If she was older and chose American Idol like she wanted to in the first place, AGT wouldn't even be in any of our discussions.

You know what I would hate? Is if she feels she has to eventually do one of these champion seasons out of guilt or obligation cause of her history with the show. Someone out there making her feel she owes it to the show. That would suck.

But you know what I'd love?!!!! If she did do it, and then went and done won the whole darn thing? :).
Yes to everything you said. :thumbsup:

Grace is at another level of artistry and class. Not to knock some of the amazingly talented contestants, but Grace is filet mignon to their oranges.

JohnMay2

Post by JohnMay2 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:34 pm

anthonminsky wrote:

There is a saying that comes from Idol called "an Idol Moment". It's kind of an ironic saying because it means that the performer has actually transcended the show and become, for 90 seconds (or so), their own artist and it became their own concert. Precious few contestants have been able to do it. I would argue that Grace was able to do it for AGT. Each time she performed it was for her own mini concert and it wasn't AGT anymore. So I think you're right about it being out of place for her.

But, like you, I still wish she would do it. Or at least showcase one of her songs. She would knock it out o the park.

VanderVault

Post by VanderVault » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:52 pm

JohnMay2 wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:34 pm
anthonminsky wrote:

There is a saying that comes from Idol called "an Idol Moment". It's kind of an ironic saying because it means that the performer has actually transcended the show and become, for 90 seconds (or so), their own artist and it became their own concert. Precious few contestants have been able to do it. I would argue that Grace was able to do it for AGT. Each time she performed it was for her own mini concert and it wasn't AGT anymore. So I think you're right about it being out of place for her.

But, like you, I still wish she would do it. Or at least showcase one of her songs. She would knock it out o the park.
Since absolutely nothing is happening in the GraceVerse today (that we know of), I'll take a few more whacks at this poor old blue-tinted horse. :lol:

You, John, and I represent maybe 10% of the viewing audience of AGT. People who can appreciate any kind of music, no matter the genre, no matter the instruments being played, no matter the vocal range of the singer performing the song. We can like Radiohead just as much as we can Johnny Cash and Twenty One Pilots as much as Patsy Cline and Amy Winehouse, but make no mistake that we are in the tiny minority.

If Grace were to show up, hopefully as only a guest, and perform a very heartfelt and moving performance of "Poseur" most of the AGT audience would look at their spouses and children and ask "What the hell was that?" and not in a good way. "Don't Like U", because it's upbeat, would likely fare better, but not by miles.

Grace's original AGT performances went over well because of their simplicity (in a good way) and timelessness. Her newer music is identifiably contemporary and features instruments that must be plugged in, including electric guitars and synths. Right there, despite boasting lyrics just as creative and profound as before, she will lose 75% of the audience. That the songs are not "uplifting" will lose what's left of the typical AGT audience. Those remaining will be intrigued by Grace, but it won't be as it was before.

Let's say 10 million tune into the night when she would perform...1 million, if very lucky, would appreciate it, and maybe 10% of those people might decide to investigate her music further online. That's potentially 100,000 new fans, so it would be worth the exercise, but it won't be a phenomenon like it was before.

AGT audiences, very generally speaking, like cute little kids with "surprising" talents, adults who make them laugh, and magicians...

Grace, however, has matured into a beautiful young woman, taller than many watching, and gets a new tattoo (good for her) every other month, has very edgy taste in fashion, and whose music lately skews toward melancholy more than "happy, happy, joy, joy". She has become a hard sell for AGT, and hopefully for that reason she won't have to appear on it again.

ETA: Typical AGT audiences also like male country singers and, on occasion, a touch of opera. Sorry for the previous exclusions.

BradHaney

Post by BradHaney » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:36 pm

VanderVault wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:52 pm

Since absolutely nothing is happening in the GraceVerse today (that we know of), I'll take a few more whacks at this poor old blue-tinted horse. :lol:
Well, I agree with you that nothing is happening in the GraceVerse today. Just kidding, as I don’t disagree with anything you said. But two quick “devil’s advocates” here: A small percentage of a large number (exposure) doesn’t make it a small number by any means. Also, to paraphrase Elizabeth Warren of all people, there’s not much point in Grace going all that way just to show everybody what she can’t do. She’s not for everyone in the first place, and many fresh faces would know what she’s doing, and that can’t be a bad thing. Plus, I wouldn’t forget the possibility that Simon could give her the ole “offer she can’t refuse”.

JohnMay2

Post by JohnMay2 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:21 pm

Can we all agree that an appearance and/or performance by Grace anywhere at all is a plus? At least for her fans, that is. And for people who haven't heard her, forgotten about her, have a tune of hers stuck in their heads but can't place it, for that matter. It would also be good for her, IMHO, if that is something she wants. Maybe she doesn't ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

RogerPyle

Post by RogerPyle » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:34 pm

JohnMay2 wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:21 pm
Can we all agree that an appearance and/or performance by Grace anywhere at all is a plus? At least for her fans, that is. And for people who haven't heard her, forgotten about her, have a tune of hers stuck in their heads but can't place it, for that matter. It would also be good for her, IMHO, if that is something she wants. Maybe she doesn't ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Sorry, I can't agree.

I will agree with Grace when she said last year that she was asked to perform in AGT Champions show then, that she has nothing to prove, and if she goes there as a contestant there's virtually no upside, even if she wins. She's already won.

If she loses, at any stage, there will be the perception that's she's an also-ran, one-hit wonder, etc. The 100K fans she might gain would pale in comparison to the 1MM fans she loses.

JohnMay2

Post by JohnMay2 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:29 pm

Can we all agree that Grace Vanderwaal currently resides in the sub location known as New York State on the celestial body known as Earth/Terra as one of the carbon based lifeforms known as "human beings"?

Asking for a friend.
Last edited by JohnMay2 on Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VanderVault

Post by VanderVault » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:31 pm

JohnMay2 wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:29 pm
Can we all agree that Grace Vanderwaal currently resides in the sub location known as New York State on the celestial body known as Earth/Terra to the carbon based lifeforms known as "human beings"?

Asking for a friend.
Well...

:D

Harlechmaker

Post by Harlechmaker » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:32 pm

VanderVault wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:31 pm
JohnMay2 wrote:
Can we all agree that Grace Vanderwaal currently resides in the sub location known as New York State on the celestial body known as Earth/Terra to the carbon based lifeforms known as "human beings"?

Asking for a friend.
Well...

:D
:P

anthonminsky

Post by anthonminsky » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:31 am

Since we're having a lull in the action, let's talk. Really talk. (and have fun with this :D)

Maybe this sounds cocky, or maybe it's as easy for you to see as it is me but no one says it.

Her competing on the show doesn't have to be risky.

I truly feel that I could pick three perfect songs from her repertoire of originals and if she sang THEM she'd win. 100% win.

And to be even more cocky - she would have to sing THOSE songs.

While every song she's written is wonderful, AND I, AND WE, ALL KNOW THAT, she has particular songs that, if she picked THEM, could whip the crap out of that show. Slaughter it, actually.

(There are more than three she could win with, but someone in a message said the show's max would be three performances for the longest lasting contestants. So that's why I say three.)

Although it shouldn't matter what Grace VanderWaal song, with a worldwide audience, it would have to be a strategic perfect three. And if she did THOSE songs, she'd SLAY!!! And blow up the universe. And I mean blow up the fricking universe!!!!!

It upsets me that It is so obvious to see that from where I'm sitting. So obvious.

In a dream: If I could come up with the money to persuade her enough that she couldn't refuse and would agree to perform three songs that I would pick for her to sing and compete with, I am almost convinced she would win if she did THOSE songs.

That is unless: She said: "To be true to the show and my role in how I won in the past, I would have to perform 3 original songs no one has heard of before". Then I would have to acquiesce. Why? Because I will always say yes to new Grace VanderWaal music :D

JohnMay2

Post by JohnMay2 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:49 am

anthonminsky wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:31 am

It upsets me that It is so obvious to see that from where I'm sitting. So obvious.

There are so many things that are "obvious" from where I'm sitting, you're sitting, from where every single fan is sitting. We aren't Grace. If she has chosen, for whatever reason, to not do the show (or sing songs we desperately want her to sing) then that is her decision. It's the path she has chosen.

anthonminsky

Post by anthonminsky » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:57 am

JohnMay2 wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:49 am
anthonminsky wrote:

There are so many things that are "obvious" from where I'm sitting, you're sitting, from where every single fan is sitting. We aren't Grace. If she has chosen, for whatever reason, to not do the show (or sing songs we desperately want her to sing) then that is her decision. It's the path she has chosen.
Well.... of course I know that.

Jeez! I was just looking for a fun conversation. :D

JohnMay2

Post by JohnMay2 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:03 am

anthonminsky wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:57 am
JohnMay2 wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:49 am
anthonminsky wrote:

Well.... of course I know that.

Jeez! I was just looking for a fun conversation. :D
*sigh* I know. In the end we all just want to see her more performances by her.

"I'm Here To Kick (butt) And Chew Bubblegum. And I am all out of bubblegum" - The Late, Great Roddy Piper

EricH

Post by EricH » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:12 am

RogerPyle wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:34 pm
If she loses, at any stage, there will be the perception that's she's an also-ran, one-hit wonder, etc. The 100K fans she might gain would pale in comparison to the 1MM fans she loses.
Please....If a large number of Grace fans dumped her for losing, were they honestly fans to begin with?

EricH

Post by EricH » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:19 am

How do artists break out of the pack of modestly successful performers? I don't have an answer. I know it can't be by performing only for your already loyal fans.

EricH

Post by EricH » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:25 am

JohnMay2 wrote:
Can we all agree that Grace Vanderwaal currently resides in the sub location known as New York State on the celestial body known as Earth/Terra as one of the carbon based lifeforms known as "human beings"?

Asking for a friend.
I admit to being dense, often. Please, elaborate.

JohnMay2

Post by JohnMay2 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:36 am

EricH wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:25 am
JohnMay2 wrote:

Asking for a friend.
It was a smarta** comment (reply, actually) based on how we can't seem to really agree about whether she should simply appear on AGT to promote her music.

EricH

Post by EricH » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:52 am

JohnMay2 wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:36 am
EricH wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:25 am
JohnMay2 wrote:

Asking for a friend.
It was a smarta** comment (reply, actually) based on how we can't seem to really agree about whether she should simply appear on AGT to promote her music.
Thanks

RogerPyle

Post by RogerPyle » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:46 am

Week 1 Participants:

Bars and Melody ( Singing Duo who were BGT Finalists)

JJ Pantano (Very young comedian from Australias got talent)

Christian Stoinev ( Hand balancer from AGT Season 9 Top 12)

Brian King Joseph ( Violinist from AGT Season 13 who placed 3rd place)

Silhouettes (Shadow dancers from AGT Season 6 Runners Up)

Voices of Service (Military Choir from AGT Season 14 who placed 5th Place)

Connie Talbot ( BGT Singer)

Strauss Serpent ( Contortionist who won Africa's got Talent 2017)

Sandou Trio Russian Bar ( Danger act that were AGT Finalists from Season 6)

Emil Rengle ( High Heels Dancer who Won Romania's Got Talent 2018)

EricH

Post by EricH » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:02 am

FredeeZiffel wrote:
I would be surprised and pleased if she were to be a guest performer but that would be the more uncertain path for access to this audience. A number of top stars would love that access but very few if any past AGT stars would provide as much excitement as a competitor as Grace.
Last edited by EricH on Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

HotelPapa100

Post by HotelPapa100 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:26 am

RogerPyle wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:46 am
Connie is the competitor who I see closest to Grace as to where she stands in her current career. It took longer for her to get there. (Obviously. she was - what - six? when she competed IIRC.) She has a constant trickle of records out, and could profit from an additional boost by showing her talent to a wider audience.
So singers in similar circumstances seem to take the opportunity.

Not arguing one way or the other, just stating facts. I'd personally prefer if Grace could make it without the label "talent show competitor", but if it is what it takes to make her a comfortable living...
YouTube HotelPapa100
Want every YT Video of the UrSB Tour in one easily navigateded spot? Look here.

BradHaney

Post by BradHaney » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:50 am

Latest from Talent Recap: "It seems unlikely that Season 11 winner Grace VanderWaal would return, but you never know." No reason given why it's deemed unlikely.

If you want to vote for Grace to come back to AGT Champions and then read another boring comment fight over whether Grace should have won:
https://www.goldderby.com/article/2019/ ... anco-poll/
Is she absolutely not competing now?

RogerPyle

Post by RogerPyle » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:49 am

RogerPyle wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:46 am
Week 1 Participants:

Bars and Melody ( Singing Duo who were BGT Finalists)

JJ Pantano (Very young comedian from Australias got talent)

Christian Stoinev ( Hand balancer from AGT Season 9 Top 12)

Brian King Joseph ( Violinist from AGT Season 13 who placed 3rd place)

Silhouettes (Shadow dancers from AGT Season 6 Runners Up)

Voices of Service (Military Choir from AGT Season 14 who placed 5th Place)

Strauss Serpent ( Contortionist who won Africa's got Talent 2017)

Sandou Trio Russian Bar ( Danger act that were AGT Finalists from Season 6)

Emil Rengle ( High Heels Dancer who Won Romania's Got Talent 2018)
Episode 1 Results:
Alesha's Golden Buzzer - Silhouettes

Going through via the Audience Vote - Strauss Serpent and Sandou Trio Russian Bar

Judges Save - JJ Pantano (young Comedian from Australia's got Talent)

Episode 2 Lineup:

Angelina Jordon • Dan Naturman • Dania Diaz • Duo Transcend • Eddie Williams • Hans • Jack Vidgen • Junior Creative • Mike Yung • Paddy & Nicko

Episode 2 Results:

Golden Buzzer ( Heidi ) - Angelina Jordon

Audience Votes - Duo Transcend & Dania Diaz

Judges Save - Hans

Episode 3 Participants:

Boogie Storm

Ben Blaque

Collabro

Marc Spellman and X

Luke Islam

Oz Pearlman

Puddles Pity Party

Ryan Niemiller

Spencer Horsman

Marcelito Pomoy
Last edited by RogerPyle on Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

EricH

Post by EricH » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:16 pm

RogerPyle wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:49 am

Episode 1 Results:
Alesha's Golden Buzzer - Silhouettes

Going through via the Audience Vote - Strauss Serpent and Sandou Trio Russian Bar

Judges Save - JJ Pantano (young Comedian from Australia's got Talent)

Episode 2 Results:

Golden Buzzer ( Heidi ) - Angelina Jordon

Audience Votes - Duo Transcend & Dania Diaz

Judges Save - Hans
Wow! Someone seems to have the inside scoop. I would imagine that if this info became common knowledge ratings would plummet. It's good to see Angelina Jordan advance. She has been my second favorite singer behind You-know-who for the past year.

MikeHall

Post by MikeHall » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:05 am

Got this GoldDerby article in my Google News feed tonight with the results of their "who should return to champions" poll.

1) Kodi Lee (42%)
2) Grace Vanderwaal (24%)
3) Mat Franco (16%)

https://www.goldderby.com/article/2019/ ... at-franco/

Tapings are Oct 10, 12, 15, and 18. I'm assuming that 10 & 12 are the remaining first round, 15 the semis, and 18 the finals.

We'll know if she's competing soon enough based on where she is tomorrow and Saturday (if we can tell).

BradHaney

Post by BradHaney » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:28 am

MikeHall wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:05 am
Got this GoldDerby article in my Google News feed tonight with the results of their "who should return to champions" poll.

1) Kodi Lee (42%)
3) Mat Franco (16%)

Tapings are Oct 10, 12, 15, and 18. I'm assuming that 10 & 12 are the remaining first round, 15 the semis, and 18 the finals.

We'll know if she's competing soon enough based on where she is tomorrow and Saturday (if we can tell).
I voted purely out of vote-for-Grace-whatever-it-is nostalgia. But a quarter of the AGT audience (or rather it's online community) wanting to see her back is promising. Though how much is curiosity and how many have remained fans is the question...

EricH

Post by EricH » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:39 am

BradHaney wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:28 am
MikeHall wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:05 am

1) Kodi Lee (42%)
3) Mat Franco (16%)

I voted purely out of vote-for-Grace-whatever-it-is nostalgia. But a quarter of the AGT audience (or rather it's online community) wanting to see her back is promising. Though how much is curiosity and how many have remained fans is the question...
I am hopeful that when the VanderWaals give the label the go-ahead to make their push for Grace, that there is enough latent Grace-love out there that the push will turn into an avalanche.

MikeHall

Post by MikeHall » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:59 am

Grace NOT at the Champions taping tonight. Still one more night to go.

Noticing that the format of this show means that everything WILL be leaked almost immediately, months in advance of the broadcast. I guess they don't care.

TrumpIsaStump

Post by TrumpIsaStump » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:17 am

Don't think Grace is going to show up for AGT Champions, think she has been trying to distance herself from AGT image of 2016.

RogerPyle

Post by RogerPyle » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:44 pm

RogerPyle wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:49 am

Episode 3 Participants:

Boogie Storm

Ben Blaque

Collabro

Marc Spellman and X

Luke Islam

Oz Pearlman

Puddles Pity Party

Ryan Niemiller

Spencer Horsman

Marcelito Pomoy
Episode 3 Results:

Golden Buzzer - Boogie Storm

Audience Vote

Ryan Niemiller

Marc Spellman and X

Marcel Pomoy

Judges Save - Unknown

RogerPyle

Post by RogerPyle » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:05 am

Episode 4 Participants:

Alexa Lauenberger
Ben Hart
Tyler Butler Figueroa
Quick Style
Miki Dark
Duo Destiny
Micheal Grimm
Freckled Sky
Moses Concas
V Unbeatable

According to the schedule, Semi-Finals are set for Tuesday, Oct.15; Finals for Friday, Oct. 18; Finale on Monday, Oct. 21.
If correct, the above contestants are the last group to compete (four rounds instead of five last year.)

MikeHall

Post by MikeHall » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:02 am

So no Grace at Champions. On one hand, I'm not surprised, but there were two big reasons I thought she might be: a) she hasn't had national TV exposure for over a year, and this would have made that possible; b) her working relationship with Simon Cowell, which would seem to give her a strong incentive to want to be on Simon's show. I felt like the positives for going on the show far outweighed the negatives, so to me it's a big missed opportunity. I know there are many who disagree, and that's fine.

So on to promotion for I Don't Love You. She really needs this one to pop.

Harlechmaker

Post by Harlechmaker » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:27 am

MikeHall wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:02 am

So on to promotion for I Don't Love You. She really needs this one to pop.
First single for a new EP, coming out on the cusp of 16, a grownup theme with a catchy hook and a vibe like an early Gwen Stefani/No Doubt song, all in the shadow of a starring role in a high profile movie by The Big Name in the entertainment industry right now. If she ever had an IOU for a big push from her label in her back pocket, now's the time to take it out.

RogerPyle

Post by RogerPyle » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:16 pm

Perhaps a better option for Grace in this type of show would be Britain's Got Talent Champions. So far no news as to whether it's been renewed for a second season, but it would accomplish several things:
1.) Enable the UK/European audience to be introduced to her, although there is a reasonable fanbase there already;
2.) Fulfill whatever commitment there is to Cowell & Co. (if there is one)
3.) Not have to be concerned about winning there as much as she would be here.

Ratings for the BGTC show were pretty good so there's a better than even chance it will get renewed. Another show, "Britain's Got More Talent," a second "Britain's Got Talent" show that had been running for 12 years recently got canceled and will be online only. So that would be another reason to continue BGTC.

RogerPyle

Post by RogerPyle » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:30 pm

RogerPyle wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:05 am
Episode 4 Participants:

Alexa Lauenberger
Ben Hart
Tyler Butler Figueroa
Quick Style
Miki Dark
Duo Destiny
Micheal Grimm
Freckled Sky
Moses Concas
V Unbeatable

According to the schedule, Semi-Finals are set for Tuesday, Oct.15; Finals for Friday, Oct. 18; Finale on Monday, Oct. 21.
If correct, the above contestants are the last group to compete (four rounds instead of five last year.)
Episode 4 Results:

Golden buzzer - was hit by Howie for V.Unbeatable

Audience Votes - Tyler Butler-Figueroa & Duo Destiny

Judges Vote - Alexa Launberg

EricH

Post by EricH » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:44 pm

RogerPyle wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:16 pm
Perhaps a better option for Grace in this type of show would be Britain's Got Talent Champions. So far no news as to whether it's been renewed for a second season, but it would accomplish several things:
1.) Enable the UK/European audience to be introduced to her, although there is a reasonable fanbase there already;
2.) Fulfill whatever commitment there is to Cowell & Co. (if there is one)
3.) Not have to be concerned about winning there as much as she would be here.

Ratings for the BGTC show were pretty good so there's a better than even chance it will get renewed. Another show, "Britain's Got More Talent," a second "Britain's Got Talent" show that had been running for 12 years recently got canceled and will be online only. So that would be another reason to continue BGTC.
Another thing it would accomplish, is to put Grace into close proximity to France, a place she has stated on multiple occasions that she would most like to visit and Germany, the home of "Grace VanderWaal Germany", the fan club that has put out birthday videos for Grace each year and done some work for the VanderVault in the past. But, I personally doubt that any of these things will persuade Grace's team to pursue this idea.

Slaneshza

Post by Slaneshza » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:07 pm

Nope disagree Grace on AGT or BGT champions would just be a step back, exposure will come , let it not be seen as a talent show contestant, let her music speak for itself , her AGT win may of opened some doors but is some ways it holds her back in the eyes of those that do not rate talent show contestants , also the audience that follows these shows are loyal until the next show comes along , seen it many times

Harlechmaker

Post by Harlechmaker » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:57 pm

Agree on no BGT either. Don't get me wrong, I don't exclude any future reality show involvement. I think she'd really nail it as a coach on the Voice...

EricH

Post by EricH » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:21 pm

Slaneshza wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:07 pm
Nope disagree Grace on AGT or BGT champions would just be a step back, exposure will come , let it not be seen as a talent show contestant, let her music speak for itself , her AGT win may of opened some doors but is some ways it holds her back in the eyes of those that do not rate talent show contestants , also the audience that follows these shows are loyal until the next show comes along , seen it many times
To my mind, the only difference between stars such as Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood who won talent shows and other stars is that the general public doesn't know where the other stars came from unless they research them on google or something. So there is a small element of mystery. Those industry people who feel that talent show stars somehow cheated by not having to go thru the struggles they went thru, still recognize exceptional talent when they have their noses rubbed in it. Few industry people are going to argue about Grace's talent.

Swizzer67

Post by Swizzer67 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:05 pm

Oh guys...i just catched up on this thread and the other long one in which the whole AGT Subject was debated with passion and some heat ;)

Let me add my 2 cents here:
Im torn a bit. But actually i dont want grace to appear as a contestant. I know it is national TV exposure but i just think its not the right thing to do for her at the moment. The AGT stigma going away is one of my biggest wishes. I have no problem with agt but its time to move on in my opinion. Grace has too much talent to do another Casting Show run.
And we also know that grace dont like the Champions concept. She was very clear about that in the long time ago mommys on the go youtube video.
Maybe a bit to clear :lol:
So should 2020 not give her enough exposure with Stargirl and hopefully a bigger label push when she is 16 then we can discuss this again for Season 3 of Champions :D
But at the moment i dont think its a good move.
I would love to see her as guest performer. That would be awesome.
But not as contestant.

I wonder if her relationship with simon is still the same cause i can see that he maybe is not thrilled about this situation and grace not appearing for neither season 1 and 2.

Of course: Should grace decide to enter the competition again she has my full support even if i dont like the idea.
But after all....its grace vanderwaal 8-) :mrgreen:

TrumpIsaStump

Post by TrumpIsaStump » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:24 pm

Swizzer67 wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:05 pm
Oh guys...i just catched up on this thread and the other long one in which the whole AGT Subject was debated with passion and some heat ;)

Im torn a bit. But actually i dont want grace to appear as a contestant. I know it is national TV exposure but i just think its not the right thing to do for her at the moment. The AGT stigma going away is one of my biggest wishes. I have no problem with agt but its time to move on in my opinion. Grace has too much talent to do another Casting Show run.
And we also know that grace dont like the Champions concept. She was very clear about that in the long time ago mommys on the go youtube video.
So should 2020 not give her enough exposure with Stargirl and hopefully a bigger label push when she is 16 then we can discuss this again for Season 3 of Champions :D
But not as contestant.

I wonder if her relationship with simon is still the same cause i can see that he maybe is not thrilled about this situation and grace not appearing for neither season 1 and 2.

Of course: Should grace decide to enter the competition again she has my full support even if i dont like the idea.
Grace & her mother Tina both posted on Instagram this morning about on the way to LA.

JefferyWacker

Post by JefferyWacker » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:49 pm

TrumpIsaStump wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:24 pm
Swizzer67 wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:05 pm

But not as contestant.

Grace & her mother Tina both posted on Instagram this morning about on the way to LA.
It'd be too late to enter the competition at this point. We'll have to wait and see what she's up to. Other than promo for IDLY, who knows what else Grace might have planned. I'm looking forward to whatever it is!

Harlechmaker

Post by Harlechmaker » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:08 pm

JefferyWacker wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:49 pm

It'd be too late to enter the competition at this point. We'll have to wait and see what she's up to. Other than promo for IDLY, who knows what else Grace might have planned. I'm looking forward to whatever it is!
According to RogerPyle, the last filming date for AGT:C2 is Friday, October 18, presumably the Finale. Today, October 16th, is the day she and her mom both posted the "LA Bound". Not out of the realm of possibility for Grace to drop in, set up, and blow everyone's minds before getting on to new business.

TrumpIsaStump

Post by TrumpIsaStump » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:52 pm

Harlechmaker wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:08 pm
JefferyWacker wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:49 pm

According to RogerPyle, the last filming date for AGT:C2 is Friday, October 18, presumably the Finale. Today, October 16th, is the day she and her mom both posted the "LA Bound". Not out of the realm of possibility for Grace to drop in, set up, and blow everyone's minds before getting on to new business.
Possible but not likely, Oct 18 release date for I Don't Like You. So we could see release party for single for LA fans and entertainment leadership type's. AGT C2 will be filmed for a later date broadcast after Oct 18, so wouldn't benefit Grace's single release. What would help Grace would be all the major late night shows and SNL for her new single.

Harlechmaker

Post by Harlechmaker » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:15 pm

Release parties are done BEFORE a release, not the day of. Also, all of the late-night shows are showing repeats all this week.

Appearing for the recording of a nationally-broadcast, highly-rated entertainment program that happens to be filmed on the day of her newest single's release may not help that particular song's chart activity, but doing so (at the specific request of the president of her label, possibly) may do far more for her career in several different ways.

I'm not saying she IS going to do AGT:C finale as a guest performer, but if she did, it'd be a lot more important than just about anything else that could need to be done on that exact date.

RogerPyle

Post by RogerPyle » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:30 pm

Harlechmaker wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:15 pm
Release parties are done BEFORE a release, not the day of. Also, all of the late-night shows are showing repeats all this week.

Appearing for the recording of a nationally-broadcast, highly-rated entertainment program that happens to be filmed on the day of her newest single's release may not help that particular song's chart activity, but doing so (at the specific request of the president of her label, possibly) may do far more for her career in several different ways.

I'm not saying she IS going to do AGT:C finale as a guest performer, but if she did, it'd be a lot more important than just about anything else that could need to be done on that exact date.
AGT Champions isn't scheduled to be broadcast until January/February 2020. IDLU will be far off in the rear view mirror by that time. Also, AGT is pretty secretive - I doubt Tina would have gone against type and posted the fact they were headed to LA against those requirements.

There are lots of reasons she could be in LA. Finishing up studio work on the EP/LP; perhaps she's headed here:
https://www.hollywoodbowl.com/events/pe ... ted-by-att

or here:
https://www.lalive.com/events/the-gramm ... etail/yola

or here:
https://www.laweekly.com/events/lizzo/

Maybe a Disney event; perhaps a charity commitment.

Harlechmaker

Post by Harlechmaker » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:29 pm

RogerPyle wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:30 pm

AGT Champions isn't scheduled to be broadcast until January/February 2020. IDLU will be far off in the rear view mirror by that time. Also, AGT is pretty secretive - I doubt Tina would have gone against type and posted the fact they were headed to LA against those requirements.

There are lots of reasons she could be in LA. Finishing up studio work on the EP/LP; perhaps she's headed here:
https://www.hollywoodbowl.com/events/pe ... ted-by-att

or here:
https://www.lalive.com/events/the-gramm ... etail/yola

or here:
https://www.laweekly.com/events/lizzo/

Maybe a Disney event; perhaps a charity commitment.
All valid points. My expectation is that some measure of her time in LA will be spent on immediate promotion of her latest single and/or some Disney+-related marketing activity. And yes, while the "LA Bound" comment doesn't directly reference AGT, by itself it doesn't constitute a spoiler or breach. Also I'm not a proponent of WANTING her to be on AGT anymore - nothing she's done or said about the experience leads me to believe she would want to do it willingly, but I don't know all of the forces at work behind the scenes. Frankie doesn't usually take brief cross-country trips, so this may be a bit of an extended stay with a lot of different activities in play.

We'll all know soon enough.

TrumpIsaStump

Post by TrumpIsaStump » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:48 pm

Harlechmaker wrote:

Grace's release parties have been done around the day before release, which would be Oct. 17. This will be first I believe done outside NYC area, think if Grace dose stay in LA and not return to NY on !8 or 19, it will be for projects not related AGT. Think Grace is moving away from the image of the innocent little girl in banana pants. Think that Sony which now has taken more control of Syco, is slowly pushing Simon Cowell out of management IMO, and further away from from Grace and her team. Think that Sony is now in full control and taking the slow build of Grace's career

VanderVault

Post by VanderVault » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:24 pm

TrumpIsaStump wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:48 pm
Harlechmaker wrote:

Grace's release parties have been done around the day before release, which would be Oct. 17. This will be first I believe done outside NYC area, think if Grace dose stay in LA and not return to NY on !8 or 19, it will be for projects not related AGT. Think Grace is moving away from the image of the innocent little girl in banana pants. Think that Sony which now has taken more control of Syco, is slowly pushing Simon Cowell out of management IMO, and further away from from Grace and her team. Think that Sony is now in full control and taking the slow build of Grace's career
That's been my impression as well re: Simon.

MikeHall

Post by MikeHall » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:53 am

Harlechmaker wrote:
Allowing a prior AGT winner to appear at Champions as a guest instead of a contestant would be seen as special treatment -- all past winners have to be treated the same in order for the show to maintain its integrity.

Champions is a moot point for this year. There didn't seem to be any conflicts that would have prevented her participating, so I have to assume it was just a choice that she and her team made. Perhaps there are other national TV appearances on the horizon that we don't know about yet.

Harlechmaker

Post by Harlechmaker » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:16 am

MikeHall wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:53 am

Allowing a prior AGT winner to appear at Champions as a guest instead of a contestant would be seen as special treatment -- all past winners have to be treated the same in order for the show to maintain its integrity.
I can't argue with that logic. I know if I was a former participant and had the screws twisted to make me compete, and then saw someone else just waltz on and showcase without having to sweat it out, I might be a tad peeved.

RogerPyle

Post by RogerPyle » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:35 pm

Harlechmaker wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:16 am
MikeHall wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:53 am

I can't argue with that logic. I know if I was a former participant and had the screws twisted to make me compete, and then saw someone else just waltz on and showcase without having to sweat it out, I might be a tad peeved.
But that's exactly what happened last year. Darcy Lynn was voted off after her first appearance, than was brought back as a "wild card" for the finals. She wound up in second place behind the years' regular season winner Shin Lim. The whole process is rigged from the beginning.

Harlechmaker

Post by Harlechmaker » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:55 pm

RogerPyle wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:35 pm

But that's exactly what happened last year. Darcy Lynn was voted off after her first appearance, than was brought back as a "wild card" for the finals. She wound up in second place behind the years' regular season winner Shin Lim. The whole process is rigged from the beginning.
But Darci Lynn did have to compete in the first place. The point still holds that the only non-contestants to perform in the finale last AGT:C were ones that had NEVER competed on a Got Talent competition (Cirque du Soliel, Melissa Fumero).

RogerPyle

Post by RogerPyle » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:46 am

AGT: THE CHAMPIONS SEASON TWO FINALISTS LINEUP

Marcelito Pompoy ( Singer : Phillipines)
Standau Trio Russian Bar ( Danger : USA)
Silhouettes ( Shadow Play : USA )
Angelina Jordan ( Singer : Norway)
Hans ( Entertainer : Australia)
Duo Transcend ( Danger : USA )
Boogie Storm ( Dancers : UK )
Alexa Lauenberger ( Dog Trainer: Germany)
V Unbeatable ( Dancers : India )
Tyler Butler Figueroa (Violinist : USA )

( + possible wildcards)